Valve oil

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by -C-, Oct 4, 2012.

1. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    I use Yamaha synthetic oil, regular and my trumpet valves are still looking good and healthy.

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    All valves sticking, or just one of them? Sticking, or just sluggish/slow? Any resistance on the way down, or just staying down? Do you get any water build-up in the 1st and 2nd slides? If sticking (and not merely slow) what do you need to do to free them up again? Has the horn (in or out of the case) been knocked or fallen recently?

--bumblebee

3. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Probably a spring and felt problem...Springs gradually get bent out of whack from popping them in and out over the years. I'd wager a spring/guide repair kit would have the pistons bouncing good again.

4. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    Not completely stuck, just slow. Mostly the 1st value, it would go down fine but would sometimes briefly hang halfway open when released. Made playing the faster runs a challenge.

I get a lot of water build up all the time, it even drips out the bell. I don't normally check the 1st and 2nd slides.

No damage to the horn.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    As a rule of thumb:
    If your valves start to stick it is too late to oil them. They have already developed the coating which the oil should have protected them from.

My suggestion is a thorough cleaning to remove the coating/scale and then more frequent oiling.

6. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    Thanks.

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Bingo!

It probably isn't the valve oil. There's a good chance it's never the valve oil. But for the record, I use Hetman #1 and #3 on my valves, and Hetman #7 and #8 on my slides.

I keep a lint-free cloth in my case. If the valves are sticking (and I'm not in a position to clean the horn), I wipe the valves with the lint-free cloth, swab the valve casings with my H.W. Brash Saver brush, and re-oil the valves.

Mike

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Another vote for Ultra-Pure here. Had the same problem with my Bach, needed a real good clean out as far as moisture collection went. Stcking valves were a symptom of needing cleaned as well. good snaking and soak in mild dish detergent seemed to solve the problem for me.....:oops: