Valve oil

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Nov 26, 2015.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi happy Thanksgiving everyone, has anyone ever had a whitish caking of valve oil on their pistons ?first time I noticed it, I also mixed two different oils " Blue juice "& Al Cass so maybe that could be it. Anyone had this ever happen ? Thanks Anthony

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Why did you mix it? My teacher and friend recommends Al Cass over blue juice.
    Or you can clean your valves.

3. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    I think you may have answered your own question.

Many lubricants don't mix well and will produce a "sludge" if you do so. This is why most folks recommend not mixing. I personally go as far as to use the same brand of valve oil and slide grease on my horns to avoid any adverse reactions.

Happy Thanksgiving!

4. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Oh, and a good cleaning and re-oil should solve the issue......:-)

5. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I actually mixed it with Ultra- pure & blue juice. Here is the story. I needed oil went to m
    usic store they only had blue juice a ,bigger bottle that I am used to so I took it home didn't fit in my case so I had an old smaller bottle Ultra- pure there was a little bit left less than a quarter and poured the Blue juice it mixed ok. Hey I figured oil mixes with oil.

6. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    ULyra pure is made for very tight tolerances on valves, and blue juice is just food coloring that you're putting into your trumpet... I would suggest hetmans, and if not that then al Cass. Fyi, those two you CAN mix.

7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Ultra-Pure makes some of the finest valve oils available. They make a "regular" for normal valves and a light for tighter tolerances.
    Monette recommends Ultra-Pure for their ultra expensive horns and I have successfully used Ultra-Pure "regular" in Schilke, Bach, Yamaha, and Getzen horns for some time with zero problems, so don't believe everything you read.
    Do NOT mix valve oils. Not all oils have the same formulas and are not always compatible.
    Find one you and your horns like and stay with it.
    Rich T.