Valve problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Outkastah, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    Hi, I recently got a new Trim Kit for my trumpet and after I put it on I noticed inside of the 2nd valve in the half step tube that becuase of the way the kit is the valve does not go down all the way to the point where it is an open circle inside of it, you can still see the valve. I tryed to chance it so it would go down more but I gave up for the night. I was wondering if that little lip that is not going down is even effecting the trumpet?

Thanks,
    Justin

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

If can't tell the difference, I wouldn't worry about it. Its not ideal (probably), but the trim kit is probably not made to the exact specs of that model horn

3. Outkastah

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    Ok, I was just worried that the instrument would not correctly resonate like it would with the stock trim on because the air would hit it or something..

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

It will affect it - its just a question of how much it affects you and how you like your horn.
    I would probably double check that the trim kit is the appropriate one for your horn though - because that sounds fairly far off...

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Did you put the felts from your stock caps on your new ones? Your valve alignment is out with the new kit.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Put your original caps on and see if the alignment is the same - you may be looking in the "wrong" hole and making an assumption about which ports are in use at each extreme of travel. :dontknow:

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If the trim kits are a different weight/ mass than the original, your horn will NOT resonate like it did before. If the valve does not go down all the way, the kit is not for that horn or defective. Send it it back.

8. Outkastah

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    I think I am going to have to, and I do like the sound I get with it so im not selling it back or anything but I do think I will have them lower it a little

9. Outkastah

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    Oh, and its a Harrelson Trim Kit, so I cant just put the old felts and such on it.

10. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I orderd a Harrelson Trim Kit to my Selmer TT, and it was not good! Same problem as you, and the finger buttom kept getting stuck on the rubber "felt". Probaby a vacuum issue! Looked good, and that's about it!