valve problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by odd67ar, Feb 16, 2014.

1. odd67ar

odd67ar Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    My nephew have had problems with his second valve funktion since a hand injury some years ago.When he plays the second valve does not come up as it should.He was playing a Schilke B1 , an had problems all the time.
    I let him play my Getzen Severinsen, but after a while the same problem started with that trumpet too.My brother and I have played the same trumpets after him, without any valve problem.It is like he does not press
    the pistons straight down. Would it help if he buy a bright new trumpet that nobody have played before?
    Is it any solution at all? :-(

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    The solution would be a rotary trumpet (where that problem can't occur) - say one of the student rotaries from Jupiter or Yamaha, or, if he does not like the idea of a flat rotary, an upright rotary like a Ganschhorn might do the trick (pricier, though). Here's a link to a good cheap rotary:
    Josef Lidl LTR-531 Bb-Trumpet - Thomann UK
    And here's a link to an excellent upright rotary:
    Piccolo Trompeten und Flügelhörner bei Votruba Musik in Wien, look for "Vertikaltrompete"
    Unfortunately, that upright rotary has a price tag somewhere near € 3,500...

3. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    My son has the same problem, actually. Basically, he doesn't oil his valves every day. Eventually, the valves don't like that and start to stick. I quick cleaning and then actually using oil every day has solved the problem. He also had the same issue when he started playing on my Strad 43. Same resolution, BTW.

Mark

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    If, after the hand injury he is pushing the valves down incorrectly, then the problem is with him and will affect all piston trumpets. There is a device designed by Chris Cromer and sold by Warburton to help players keep the ball of their hand up. It straps around the lead pipe and supports the hand. You could try one of those:
    Horn Grip for Trumpet

You might also want to give him a ball for him to hold in his hand to encourage the round grip.

Otherwise, yes, rotaries will be exempt from that problem. Only trouble is, they play and sound like rotaries;-);-);-)

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    That's not quite correct. There are quite a few rotaries around that sound very similar to pistons. If you take rotaries in the heavy, German style, you are surely correct; but rotaries built in the lighter, Austrian style (like Josef Lidl, Cerveny or, at the higher end, Votruba) will be very similar to pistons.

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi odd67,
    You asked:
    "My nephew have had problems with his second valve funktion since a hand injury some years ago.When he plays the second valve does not come up as it should.He was playing a Schilke B1 , an had problems all the time.
    I let him play my Getzen Severinsen, but after a while the same problem started with that trumpet too.My brother and I have played the same trumpets after him, without any valve problem.It is like he does not press
    the pistons straight down."
    ------
    I think you know the answer. Improper hand position is from my experience the leading cause of valve problems.
    No amount of oil, new shiny horn, finger buttons or mouthpiece will help if the person doesn't learn to hold the trumpet correctly and depress the valves in a proper manner. This seems too easy. Are you sure you're not using or seeking a surface answer for a deep problem that has little to do with the condition posted?
    -----
    Would it help if he buy a bright new trumpet that nobody have played before?
    Is it any solution at all.
    -----
    If you are thinking that a trumpet (new or used) is some sort of prostetic or corrective device, then that would be incorrect. A trumpet is a trumpet and it needs to be handled and used correctly. My suggestion? Look on the web and find out the proper way to hold a trumpet and how to properly depress the valves. If the problem is deeper than sticky valves and hand position, then face it and deal with it in the best manner that will positively assist both you and the child.
    Dr.Mark

7. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Does the nature of his injury make it impossible to press straight down? Or did he never relearn the mechanics of it after the injury? There is a chance that if he were to spend some time with a good technique oriented teacher, they may be able to remedy the problem by finding a different hand position. But, if the nature of the injury makes that impossible a different horn may be the solution. A brand new horn would not solve the problem. As mentioned, a rotary would. I am also sure that there are a number of custom builders who would be willing to build a piston horn with an offeset 2nd valve to match the angle of depression. But, that would probably not be a cheap venture.

8. odd67ar

odd67ar Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    My nephew is 48 years old,and has been playing trumpet for 40 years.
    He has never told ether me or his father, who is allso a trumpet player unti now.
    I understand that he has a wrong position with his right hand.The accident that injured his hand was 15 years ago.But I understand why he has changed trumpet so often as he has.A pity he didn´t tell me about his problem earlier.

9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi odd67,
    You stated:
    "My nephew is 48 years old,and has been playing trumpet for 40 years."
    -----
    Age does not promise efficiency or effectiveness. They need to work on proper hand placement.
    ----
    He has never told ether me or his father, who is also a trumpet player until now.
    I understand that he has a wrong position with his right hand due to the accident that injured his hand was 15 years ago. I understand now why he has changed trumpet so often as he has. A pity he didn´t tell me about his problem earlier.

---
    That it a pity. However, you can help him now. If it's any consolation, no one ever completely learns the trumpet. We are all striving to get it right. The hand thing is an easy fix. If the problem continues, suggest to him to use the left hand. I rotate hands just to keep my brain sharp and God knows my brain needs all the help it can get.
    Hope this helps and good luck. I do not know your skill level so please don't take this the wrong way but, if you need advice on proper hand placement, I, along with people more skilled than me are willing to help you. Just ask and we'll do our best to assist you.
    Dr.Mark

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Awhile back I suffered like I had carpal tunnel syndrome and then started playing with the flesh of my forearm resting on a mahl stand such as some sign writers and artistic painters use, the latter when their work is on an upright easel. I also abandoned the pinky hook as I feel tends to lock the fingers flat instead of just the tips touching the keys.