valve problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jim miller, Dec 11, 2008.

1. jim miller

jim miller Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2008
    California
    Is there a tried & true method for freeing up valves that tend to stick/ or a good place to send this horn. Chinese made weimar. everything good except the valves and I cant say I wasnt warned. jm

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Thoroughly clean them - use TM search for instructions. Then try Ultra Pure valve oil.
    veery

3. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    When I was running a repair shop we refused to work on the Chinese instruments. They always came back. The valves were poorly fitted and the materials were inferior. Woodwinds would not hold an adjustment. There was no point in trying to make them play. Like teaching a pig to sing.

If the customer got the horn at WalMart, we told them to take it back to WalMart.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Yep Ed Kennedy is right. as you said "I was warned" There's a reason we don't spit into the wind!

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You have nothing to lose by cleaning and lubricating.
    veery

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jim,
    actually, you may get some joy by NOT oiling the valves during a couple of (frustrating) practice sessions. There will be some additional wear and that may just do the trick.

My take on proper lubrication is:
    take the valves out, use soapy water for the valve AND casing, rinse, rinse and rinse again (soap destroys the lubrication properties of the oil) then wipe out and let everything sit till it is BONE DRY. Why? Oil floats on water and that does not do a good job of protecting the valve. Oil the valves and casing, reassemble.

Don't forget, the valve oil is not just to keep the valves fast, it is also there to protect them from wear!

If you use UltraPure or any other petroleum based product, oil EVERY DAY. The petroleum part evaporates leaving moisture and the aerosols from your mouth to lubricate the valve. Do not wait for the valve to stick! EVERY DAY!

I have a $200.00 chinese pocket trumpet (my business trip, vacation horn and soon to be test object for braces) and had to scrub that thing out several times before the insides were free of manufacturing grunge. That made my valves stick a couple of weeks into the horn too. Now they are greased lightning!