Valve question

Discussion in 'Horns' started by bigaggietrumpet, Dec 3, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, so recently I've noticed that over time, when playing my Studio, a liquid builds up in the bottom valve caps, and then drips all over me. I have a hunch that this is spit, as it doesn't smell like Blue Juice. Does this mean that I have worn out valves, or is this something normal?

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Normal. I wouldn't think it would build up to where it dripped all that quickly though. Maybe if you "dump" the caps before your first warmup of the day? That's why some bottom caps have "built in" lips around the bottom hole... to keep the water/oil from continually running all over your white shirt (and maybe one more reason for musicians to wear black? :D )

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Nah, we just wear black because we are so cool. :cool:

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    spit? does that mean you spit into your horn? :wink:

It is probably condensation.

5. trumpeterb

trumpeterb Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Try a grime guard...they work great. They catch any drippings before they ruin your pants...

6. osousay

osousay New Friend

Apr 12, 2005
    southwest
    don't you use your spit valves? I empty those at the end of every play.I have never had valve leak-yours must be worn-use a heavier oil.

7. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA

Normal? You're in Aggieland... what's your definition of normal?! lol. Just kiddin' brother. I actually had the same prob, then I put on some gutters, valve are so smooth, I use less oil, and I don't ruin my shirts!

8. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Try wearing cover-alls.
    Works great.

Robert Rowe