Valve Slide Dents

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Cornetista, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Cornetista

Cornetista New Friend

Dec 22, 2011
    Playa Blanca, Lanzarote
    Hi guys,

This one is mainly for the repairers on here. My silver-plated Xeno trumpet has a couple of very small dents at the very end of the 1st and 3rd valve slides. These were probably caused by the previous owner allowing the valve slides to slip off the trumpet and fall to the ground. I emailed a repairer who advertised that he removed dents to see if he could do the job for me and he came back to me and said that he could not help me. :-?

Am I right in thinking these dents can be easily removed, or is there some difficulty in removing dents from the bend of these valve slides.

There are also a few scratches on the bell of the trumpet, probably caused by contact with a music stand, can these be removed by buffing or something similar?

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Bad tech, my tech can get any dent out with leaving just a slight ripple in the silver on the worst of them. As for the scratches, get some silver polish and they will go away.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Ease of removal depends on the person doing the removal. I've had Charlie Melk (my local tech!) remove those sorts of dents for me. So I should think that others can too.

As for the silver scratching, I don't have a silver horn, so....

Tom

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    So you need a silver horn! Duh! That is a good excuse for you get for the N+1!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Dents in the 3rd slide are the most difficult of the slide dents, but should be doable by any tech.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The closer to the center of the bend, the harder a dent is to remove. As for bell scratches, very fine ones can be polished out, but trying to polish deep ones out will probably rub through the silver plating.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    What, Tom? Do you want some scratches too? Are you feeling left out? You'll have to get a silver horn if you want proper scratches. I have some spares if that's of any use ..... scratches, not horns.

8. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    This usually involves removing one of the slides so the curved dent rod can reach inside the crook. With a silver horn trace around the ferrule joint with an HB pencil and this will prevent the solder from running on to the silver.

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Oh................... Any good tech can remove with NO Side affects.....

10. Cornetista

Cornetista New Friend

Dec 22, 2011
    Playa Blanca, Lanzarote
    Thanks for the responses guys, I think I need to keep looking to find a more competent tech. BTW another suggestion he made was to get new replacement valve slides as it may work out cheaper that way. Could that be true?