Valve spring sound?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jeff77789, Jan 25, 2011.

1. jeff77789

jeff77789 New Friend

Sep 14, 2010
    Dallas
    So I just got this trumpet today, it sounded AWESOME!

But one thing that I noticed was that the first valve had a spring sound when pressed down. It goes "pop-ing-ingg-inngg" and when it releases it goes "ping-ing-ing-ingggg-innng"

Should I be worried about this?

Also this valve has the most resistance when pressing down than the other valves

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
  3. jeff77789

jeff77789 New Friend

Sep 14, 2010
    Dallas
    Thanks for that!

But for me my problem I'd the spring sound not the clicking sound

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Swap that spring onto one of the other two valves and see if the sound transfers - you might have a rogue spring - could be worthwhile renewing them all? It might also be that the spring is somehow distorted and is rubbing on the casing.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Sounds like the spring is either installed incorrectly or someone has stretched it. Take the valve out and check if the ends of the spring are seated where they should be. Then look at it, both extended and compressed to see if it has any sideways distortion. Take all three out and compare their lengths. Many times, a spring someone has stretched will make noises and the valve will be more stiff. Could even be a different type of spring in that one valve.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Depending on the horn, you can probably buy an entire "valve rebuild kit" with felts, springs, corks, valve guides, etc. off e-bay for less than $30! You can DIY in less time than driving back an forth to the repair shop.:-)