Valve Spring ???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rick14A4A, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Yamaha's low brass springs are coated with something. I think it is teflon. I can ask the Yamaha guy next time he is around the shop.
    I also am pretty sure springs come in phosphor-bronze as well.

2. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    I've steched springs before , never again , it drove me mad . I couldn't get the return even and that realy messes with your head when your playing . Then I tried to squash them down that made things worse , I just got new ones it was cheap for peace of mind.

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Getting just the right spring tension is important -- stretching can be made to work, but the springs have to be stretched just right (experience is very important here). Sometimes I take springs which are a bit too long and cut them down just a bit to get the proper response.

For most people, though, they shouldn't mess with the springs other than simply replacing the current ones, if needed, with new ones. Too much can go wrong. Heck I've had repair clients who come back in after trying to replace their springs and the air doesn't even flow through the horn. Turns out they dropped the valve guide and put it back into the piston backward!