Valve threading stripped

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bender-offender, Mar 18, 2009.

1. bender-offender

bender-offender New Friend

Mar 18, 2009
    Hello,

My horn is a Strad., and a few years ago I noticed the threading on my 2nd valve was wearing and causing the valve to pop out when I'd press it down. So to keep it tight, I wrapped some tape around the threading so as to make the valve screw tight. This did work, but it's a pain whenever I need to take out the valve for oiling, etc. My question is has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, what's the best way to remedy it? Is it possible to fix without having to get a completely new valve casing? If so, is it expensive to fix?

Thanks a bunch for any help!

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Do you refer to the valve top cap? If this is so, any competent tech should be able to shrink,( swage down ), the cap to make a proper fit to the threads. This, of course, if the threads have not already been galled by cross threading.

OLDLOU>>

3. bender-offender

bender-offender New Friend

Mar 18, 2009
    Hi Oldlou,

Yes, it's the top cap. It isn't cross-threaded. It seems to me as if the threads just wore down over time.

4. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    hey i actually have a similar issue with my aristocrat, its from the 70s but it currently has multiple valve problems, it plays, but my main issue is cross threading on the third valve, its insanely hard to get the cap off when i give my trumpet its bimonthly bath