Valve Top Caps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    A picture of my 2008 Blessing XL-CR is below. I am not suggesting that it is anything special, though for me it seems to be quite a nice little instrument. What I did want to discuss are the valve top caps. They thread inside the tops of the valve cases. The arrangement is the same on my 2006 and 2009 Blessing ML1s and 1990 Blessing Artist flugelhorn. Why don't other manufacturers do this?:think: All the rest of the top valve caps on instruments in my little herd thread up conventionally, on the outside of the cases and require a little fiddling around to avoid getting something cross-threaded. By comparison, the caps on the Blessings I identified above thread up so positively, quickly and correctly that I am surprised the technique is not an industry standard.

Jim

[​IMG]

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Good point. Especially since one of the preferred methods of oiling has you pulling the valve, cross threading becomes probably the greatest potential for damage other than dinks. However, I rarely hear of it as a problem. That said, I was able to acquire my Kanstul 1525 flugelhorn for a good price -in like new condition because the previous owner had started a cross thread and slight bend on a bottom valve cap. Tech was able to put it back to like new condition. Like new.

3. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    It's not really all that unusual, at least if you look back a few years. My Reynolds Contemporas both have this arrangement, on bottom as well as top caps. You can find it on other vintage horns as well.

4. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    I think the very first item discussed and closely supervised in my first trumpet lesson, sixth grade in 1963 was "How to Oil Your Horn" - removing the top cap, sliding out the valve part way and oiling. Funny thing... it's probably the only lesson I learned the first time and never cross threaded one. That does not mean that there is a better way to design it though.

However... speaking of top valve caps and threading (not specific to the post but thought I'd throw it in) I tried a new, out of the showcase 2012 Xeno last year. I thought it played okay but I was very disappointed in the 2nd. valve cap thread. The first thing I did of course to oil the valves. It felt and sounded like it had sand in it! It was horrible - beyond noticeable. It was very rough and a bit loose as cap and threading goes. Being unable to keep my mouth shut and trying to sound somewhat knowledgeable I told the store clerk that if I were to lay out $2,500 for a top of the line instrument I would not expect that kind of product. She told me that the shop would certainly take a look at it but that I shouldn't judge the horn by that slight problem. I read quite a bit of discussion about the new Yamahas being of lesser quality. The end of the story was that it couldn't even begin to compare to my 1984 Yamaha 6345 ST. Oh well... welcome to the 21st. Wall Mart century. Yes, I'm getting way too old, to fast. The movie(s) Grumpy Old Men are taking on a whole new depth of meaning for me. :-(

5. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Harky,

Yea, that is the way about 9/10 of all players are taught. Considering most of them learn this somewhere between 5-7th grade, it is amazing that cross-threading isn't the plague of the horn. Again, even after working as a band director for a number of years with younger kids, I have never seen one cross threaded.

6. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I learned this way too, but now I just remove the valve slide and oil through the bottom port (which has no opening when the valve is up). I found that oiling through the top port makes a mess because there is still an opening there. The most annoying thing for me is how to get just one or two drops in. I use Ultrapure and the nozzle "weeps".

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    cough

Buescher

cough

8. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    And Selmer (vintage, at least).

9. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Transfer your Ultrapure to an empty bottle of another brand, preferably one with an eyedropper. That is what I have done with Blue Juice- transferring from their large bottle.

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    None of the bottles of UP I have "weep", Misty. Maybe you just got unlucky with that one.:roll::dontknow:

I was taught the pull the valve method, too. I've never crossed a cap yet, but the Chinese made horns in our little stable can be problematic, especially my SIL's pocket horn. Have to be really careful with that one:roll::oops::cool: