Valve Top Caps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I don't know where you read about Yamaha's quality going down. Everything they make is top notch quality. For non custom made horns, it doesn't get better than their quality.

Also, the top and bottom caps done in the style above are a pain to remove when stuck because there is less surface area to grip. More chances of distorting the valve casing when some parent uses pliers to remove a stuck cap.

2. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Being in the construction industry, the only time I see cross threading issues is when a wrench or something other than a hand (more leverage) is used to tighten a nut, bolt, screw, etc... Unless you're Arnold, I don't think it requires much worry.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    It's all too easy to cross-thread some valve caps, and depending on their construction, the caps might have some pretty flimsy threads. This is an issue in my Buescher experience with the Model 205 and 207 Aristocrat and the Model 215 Custom Built.

Tom

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Its hard to make out in my photo in the OP, but the gripping surface on the valve caps has a very positive gripping surface similar to metal checkering on certain firearms I have handled. This coupled with internal threading seems to make the system nearly fool proof, as well as being fast.
    Jim

5. Brekelefuw

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    It may be sticking out from the casing, but it doesn't allot much room to tap/grip when removing stuck caps.
    the 'checkering' is called Knurling.

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Yup. Getting Buescher cap stuck is No Fun because there's nothing to grap onto. You hammer it and get your rubber glove and hope for the best.

And by hammer I mean with a plastic tool.

Tom

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Brekelefuw - I guess you must be a machinist, not to many people know that is called knurling. I watched an apprentice in the tool room burn up the knurling tools by using too much pressure and too much speed on the lathe. little accidents like that can cost a whole days [or more] profit in a small shop.

8. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    My apologies to Brekelefuw and others regarding Yahama horns. My favorite horn is still my Yamaha 6345. It came perfect and continues to be so. Yes I am sure that Yamaha makes some of the best off the line horns out there. They have been known for their consistency. My comments were based on the horn I tried which had a very gritty valve cap threading which certainly had something wrong with it. It also had one other item, I cannot recall exactly what it was now, that was not as it should have been. I must apologize because I the threads or comments regarding Yamaha were about the Monel valves which could apply to any horn with Monel valves. My statement was inaccurate and, other than my experience with the valve cap, I apologize for commenting on misinformation.

9. Brekelefuw

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I am a brass repair tech (and trumpet player of course), but I have done machinist courses to help facilitate my repair skills.