valve trombone education please

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Nov 29, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I saw a valve trombone on ebay that was identified as Bb/F. I want to be able to play off of Bb trumpet music without transposing. It's obvious to me that there is one flat (Bb) in the key of F but I don't see why I would be in tune with different pitched instruments if i'm reading music for a Bb instrument. Can someone explain what the meaning of Bb/F is for that instrument?........thanks, crow

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Many trombones have a valve on the bell that drops the instrument a fourth (like pushing the 1st and 3rd valves on a trumpet). This horn obviously has that 4th valve. You do not need to use it, but it can be useful for playing down to the pedal tones. It does not transpose everything down.

3. ZeuSter

ZeuSter Pianissimo User

May 22, 2004
    Crowmadic ,
    The trombone that you are referring to is a different kind of valve , it is a slide trombone with an F attachment, not a trombone with three valves like a trumpet (aka Valve Trombone.).

4. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    the one i'm referring to is on ebay and looks like a regular slide trombone with 3 valves, and seller says it's a Bb/F trombone?....what's up?........crow