Valve Trombone vs. Flugelhorn

Discussion in 'Horns' started by rhdroc, Feb 11, 2004.

1. rhdroc

rhdroc Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    Central Pennsylvania
    For those of you have had experience with these instruments, is it practical to invest in owning one of each (as a doubler) OR do they pretty much cover the same "ground" to some degree? How about a marching valve trombone -- Kanstul calls them Flugelbones??

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this subject!!

---<Rick

2. JACKKANSTUL

JACKKANSTUL Pianissimo User

Our valve trombone that is wraped like a trumpet more affectionately called the"flugelbone" is a great doubling instrument. Much better than a bass trumpet which players have used for years. It gets a true trombone timbre and is very easy to blow. Pitched in the key of Bb it is a must have for the trumpet player who has to double on gigs.

To The Flugelbone-May those stuffy out of tune bass trumpets RIP.

Jack Kanstul

3. rhdroc

rhdroc Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    Central Pennsylvania
    Since I've never played a valve trombone (flugelbone), I'm still wondering if the difference between it and my flugel is significate enough to justify spending the extra $$$ on a bone. It's been years since I've played the slide trombone so the learning curve may be rather steep -- embouchure wise!!

Thanks---<Rick

4. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Trumpet/Flugbone:) learning curve

In this case---
    I really think Jack has a really interesting idea.....

I am sure many others, like me...have played trumpet for decades and at the same time...still play valve trombone and as far as the learning curve goes....I think it was Maynard that mentioned that in reality.....playing his larger mp'd valve trombone...enhanced his trumpet playing, both in performance and in practice.

go to:
    www.gabrielmarkhasselbach.com

and check out an amazingly talented trumpet player that rules equally with both trumpet and valve trombone...as well as other instruments, even on the same song, during a gig. (however many of his songs from his recordings...he doubles and backs himself with not only trombone, but with Flute...etc.

I have actually found that taking a break from practicing some difficult passages on my trumpet...my chops begin to tire and often have noticed that by simply grabbing for my old Healy valve trombone for a "rest break" and notice how quickly my trumpet chops seem to recover.....as this must in some way help the blood to flow and just how great my trumpet chops feel...after using this old bone....to "warm down" especially from a demanding high register trumpet part that often goes with the flow of my church-choir music arrangements?

Bottom line: Great idea Jack!!!! You fast-brass talkin' man!!!

I would have one of those beautiful Flugity-bones in a heart-beat if I could convince my CFO, dearly beloved Saint Carol...that this would be the perfect Valentine gift.

Jack, you are a smooooooooooooth talkin' "MR. BIG" kinda guy...can you help your old BadBoy Don from Gig Harbor to pull off this Conn*...OPPS!.....*KANSTUL job? :lol: :D

5. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Jack,

Tell me more about this flugelbone. I hvae been trying to decide what to get to help loosen up my tight trumpet chops. Depending on who I talk to, advice ranges between a valve trombone and a bass trumpet. I have heard negative things about both of these, especially regarding intonation and the physical balance (how the horn feels in your hands).

How is the intonation on the horn?

Mike

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Kanstul experience with marching brass probably really helps here.

I have played a Flugelbone (although I think it is a funny term, a marching euphonium or E-horn is closer to the equivalent of a flugelhorn in the trombone world). Some can easily double. Others have trouble. But a traditional valve trombone is often out-of-tune and hard to play in tune. A Flugelbone is much easier. With a small mouthpiece I would suspect a trumpet player could double with a little effort. Reading bass clef in concert pitch rather than transposing a step is a little different.

Of course you could always read the trumpet charts! :D

M&C

7. JACKKANSTUL

JACKKANSTUL Pianissimo User

Mike, Don and the rest of the gang,

You don't need to read bass clef. The horn is like your trumpet(only much bigger :eek: ) pitched in Bb and sounds an octave lower than your trumpet. Just like a piccolo trumpet only going in the opposite direction. 8) Like all Kanstul instruments it first of all RESONATES like no other brasswind. That makes playing it easy and enjoyable, so you can concentrate on the music. Second it is balanced perfectly so you can actually hold it up(weighs only 4 lbs.) Finally and most important IT PLAYS IN TUNE. :p That's because nobody knows how to get control of a tapered tube and line things up like my father. I encourage you to give one a try. I keep them in stock for just that reason. If you get one you will wonder how you ever got through a gig on a bass trumpet. Give me a call. 480-753-3468

To The Intonation-On any Kanstul Brasswind it's Incredible!

Jack Kanstul
    P.S. Don give me a call. I might have a plan to where you won't have to CONN your way. It will be KANSTUL all the waaaay. :D

8. adrianw

adrianw New Friend

Jun 21, 2009
    Jack
    You sound like a salesman, but I have a young friend who has both tpt and flug x Kanstul and they are both superb to play. I searched for a bass tpt for yonks without any luck and finally found one on ebay in Australia, but it is Chinese and I have no odubt I could get something better. I have Benge tpt and flug. Hope to be in LA in a couple of weeks. Are there any places there where I could try a flugelbone?
    AdrianW