Valve Trombone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by surfingmusicman, Dec 28, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    thanks Peter -- I have one of those Korg tuner things -- so I will use it.

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    thanks Peter, that is very helpful

4. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Now the only thing to understand for Bass Clef, is that the slide Valve trombone Music is written and played in Concert pitch....:-o

But worry about that later...

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    same as trumpet when the music director is talking --- he says play a concert Bb scale -- and, of course the trumpets play a C scale --- I think a standard trombone is in Bb -- correct??

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While a trombone and other bass instruments are written in concert key (whatever it is as for C instrument such as a piano) the normal tenor trombone is a Bb instrument unless it has a Thayer valve as then can change it to an F instrument. If a Bb, yes one must transpose what is written to that for a Bb instrument, thus two half steps higher with the addition of 2 sharps to the key signature of the C instrument written music. Each sharp added will negate 1 flat in the key signature if such exists for the C instrument music.

Exception, if you are playing music already scored for a Bb trombone part, the foregoing transposition should already be accomplished, but it would be wise to ask.

7. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes, just read the Bb trumpet music, with the positions I have given with the trumpet notes, and all is well and in tune - just lower in sound.

The Bb Tenor Slide Trombone (The normal one), can be played by reading the trumpet music, but it will be an octave lower. If you read the Bass Clef, the Tenor Trombone usually plays the Concert pitch written music. Some Brass Bands use Bb parts. Like Ed outlined, it can then get confusing. Valve Trom & Trumpet = easy swap. Ha Ha!!

Good Luck on the Slide......[​IMG]

Once learned it is just like riding a bike....[​IMG]

Hang in there and have fun, you will appreciate the trumpet more..

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Peter, if you're playing a Bb tenor trombone in the bass clef and playing it as if it were a C instrument such as a piano, you'll never be hired in my band or most others to do so.

As said, most music for trombone and the other bass instruments is written as if it were written for piano, but that doesn't mean you don't have to transpose it. I've the capabilty to sight read this transposition for my King slide T-bone and my Conn Artist euphonium, just as I sight read piano music and play it on my trumpet, cornet, or picc.

The written notes in the bass clef ascending and alternating line and space are GABCDEFGA and then BCD, the next note being an E on the bottom line of the treble clef.

Were you to play a B as written for a C instrument on your Bb tenor trombone or Bb trumpet, your tuner will not confirm such as a B, but an A, but were you to play a C# your tuner will confirm a B. It is essential that you transpose C music for a Bb instrument!

9. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Ed, I agree with you fully.

I just read off the trumpet parts, I have not got the skills for the transposition in Bass Clef, I am OK with the trumpet though, so need no explanation.
    Cheers mate

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Peter, the bass clef contains the same notes you'll find in the treble clef just an octave + lower and in different location. What is in your mind for the treble clef is a line or space lower in the bass clef, viz a B is on third ine in the treble clef and on the second line in the bass clef. Christmas Eve at the caroling here in Jackson I played the melody of Silent Night on my euphonium. If you don't already know FYI the bass trumpet, baritone, and euphonium all play the same mpc as a trombone ... nice IMO. The befuddling of the mind is a consequence that you just aren't yet proficient with thinking in concert key ... as is always that written for a C instrument such as a piano. I suppose that got drilled into my head somehow because my Mother played piano IMO with concert (symphony) quality and I now play a lot of her music on my instruments that otherwise than those I've mentioned in this thread include a P5-4 Schilke piccolo trumpet and a Yamaha Marching mellophone in key of F. Up until last year I had a tuba in key of C but whereas I don't aspire to play in a symphony orchestra at my age I couldn't see a rationale to keep ... and I surely didn't like polishing all that silverplate.