Valve Trombone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by surfingmusicman, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Ed,
    Yep I play Eupho, Marching Baritone, Marching French, Marching Trom, Slide Trom with F, and I was playing Bass Trumpet when I was a kid (mid 20s). Reading Concert and transposing is not a problem, it is only a transposition for Bb so easy. Happy to transpose for Eb etc as well. My problem is I play for Jazz or to add a depth where only trumpet would get boring. I have not played Bass Clef for reading so if given Bass Clef music to play for Trom I am stuffed, give me piano of Sop Sax, or Tenor Sax or Trumpet, Bb C, then not issues. Just an octave below what is written.

I am happy to play Tenor Sax, and Soprano Sax and Clarinet as well, all related to the Bb and reading in the Treble Clef. I dabble with Flute (C). I am too lazy to bother to get really educated for Bass Clef, when I can double by reading off the trumpet part, or the Piano part and transpose. I have zero problems transposing off the piano Treble Clef parts either. I also have a little go at C, D, Eb and Picc trumpets, Flugel and Cornet. I enjoy it too much as an amatuer (a-mature) player to get wound up worrying over the Bass Clef. I only came back to playing in around 2003, after 25 years away from music, but used to be OK when I was in my teens to 20s and Thank God got through life to find my chops are still there and no injury.

Tuba - well I have a huge respect for Tuba players, after trying to play one. I could get a nice sound, but could not get down low enough - really, really difficult.

So I know I cannot read Bass Clef, and cannot bother to learn it at this stage, when I can do what I need to do from Treble Clef.

Next instrument - Scottish Bagpipes!!

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Duplicated post..Duh

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    [​IMG]
    Rufus Harley

All you need to play jazz!
    Mikel

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    The only other instruments I have been able to play without any harm to my embouchure is the oboe or bassoon. I really like bassoon; which is something I find very, very strange. I try not to think about it too much.[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly sure the violin won't mess up your embouchure either! The guy that plays trumpet with me is primarily a violinist- that's why I mentioned it- though I thought it was a very rare combination.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    About the time you acquire the ability to play the pipes well, I'll don my Douglas kilt & plaid over my "charlie" and dance the sword dance, knowing with my current ills of PAD and claudication now in my legs the dance will not be in the dwindling years of this life I have left on earth. I'm 75 now.

Peter, Way back when I started my training on brass, I was playing any brass instrument that was needed as included a non compensating French horn and an Eb mellophone and also a BBb Sousaphone.

My reed experience began in college to accomplish an instrumental music minor to my B Ed, but continued on well enough to augment the tutoring we engaged for our daughter. Today my daughter plays all the reeds except oboe and bassoon IMO at PRO level and that includes the flute. My own clarinet is stashed at my knee at this computer table and my flute and fife are in the center drawer of my desk.

Yeah, I can transpose piano music for any instrument including raising the bass clef into the treble for Bb trumpet / cornet as puts some harmony to a Bb trumpet / cornet trio or quartet. From what you say, you just seem to lack one of my propounded "Ps" that are Patience, Perseverence, and Practice.

I've had two lapses of not playing, the first from 1956 - 2006 and the second from 2008 -2011, the latter while recovering from major health and dental issues. Not sayin' I've yet regained my former capability but I'm improving day by day and enjoying it.

Too, I'm now tutoring 4 beginning 5th graders on trumpet and enjoying that also.

Not that jazz is my personal favorite, I've recently ordered the Eddie Brookshire CD in which Dr. Gary Onady (GMONADY) plays trumpet and flugel, but I've got a lot of other jazz recordings I listen to inclusive of Al Hirt and others of that ilk.

Still, pondering how to work brass into the blue grass genre as is popular hereabout and not having much success in doing so.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Ed and Peter,
    wow -- I actually don't see a problem with "learning" bass clef. That is because I want to at least play the basic scales on the slide bone. Most of the trumpet music that I have played in church always needs to be transposed from C into Bb. Something of which I can't do on the fly -- but I write it down ahead of time, so I can be "in tune" with the piano's and such that are in C. Of course in the community band the music is already written in Bb for the trumpet part ---and I am certain the trombone parts are already transposed.

The concept of the trombone (for me) is pretty much to enhance my trumpet embouchure, and strengthen it a bit, all the whilst of being able to play some simple music on the slide bone. Maynard, and James Morrison, Nick Drozdoff, and the like -- maybe exceptions, but all seemed to play both the trumpet and bone with NO problems with embouchure, and most claimed it strengthened their trumpet playing.
    The slide bone being my choice based on "fiscal responsibilty" as it was quite a bit cheaper than a Valve instrument --- all things being equal --- I think valve or slide trombone for the purpose of enhancing the trumpet playing are both going to have the same effect, it just comes down to finances and/or preference. IMHO

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yep, I concur that playing a bass trumpet, T-bone, baritone, euphonium and even a tuba and Sousaphone strengthens all the muscles of the embouchure without detrimental effect to playing picc, trumpet, or cornet, and I suppose a French horn also. I no longer have a tuba (sold it last year) and never owned my own French horn or Sousaphone, but also do own and now play a Yamaha marching mellophone in F.

Yes, it is great enjoyment to play the switcheroo!

8. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    The point is, trombone parts aren't transposed -- they're in concert pitch. Imagine that all trumpet music was like the music you encounter in church -- in concert pitch -- but that we all learned to play C music on Bb trumpets. It wouldn't "feel" like transposing, because we'd learn the C transposition as our native language. That's exactly what's going on with trombone music, except in bass clef.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yup! Albeit it is transposing from C to Bb, for me it no longer seems like it is, and such is also why I've never had the need for a C trumpet. I'd expect a C trumpet and my Bb trumpet would sound the same should we be playing from the same C music.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    WHAT? oh no man -- you mean learning Bass cleff is NOT the solution -- then I would also have to learn to "transpose" on the fly????? now, the bone seems complicated - -luckily it's a small shank mpc -- so if EVERYTHING else fails -- I can pop my trumpet mpc in the bone --- and just have fun with it!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL