Valve Trombone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by surfingmusicman, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Nieuwguyski, on Bb T-bone in bass clef, I play 2nd space C# in 5th position and on first ledger line above bass clef in 2nd position. The Conn / King charts are online in PDF format accessible readily with Google search.

As well as about every audience knows the music sound of Silent Night, on Christmas Eve 2011 I performed a euphonium solo rendition of it here in Jackson NC for the caroling held at the Courthouse gazebo. I believe if my fingering had been wrong, I would have been "tarred and feathered" out of town. This is the tarheel state and there are several Perdue chicken houses nearby where the public could have got the feathers.
    Well, I'm still here! I will say I was exhausted as follows in my recovery from major heart surgery. Otherwise, I really like the rendering of this song as a euphonium solo and also likewise Amazing Grace which the public knows well also.

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    That's exactly what I do. But I don't understand this:

If you play second-space C# in 5th position how do you play second-line B, a major second lower, by coming in to 4th position? Second-line B is played in 7th position:

It's Easy To Make Music, page 129

Finally, trombone music is not transposed. It simply isn't:

"Several instruments are designed in keys other than C, yet do not tranpose. The most notable of them include the trombones, baritone and euphonium in bass clef, and the various keys of tuba. When composing for these instruments, the composer may treat them as non-transposing instruments in C, as they will produce the same pitches as the composer notates. However, the instruments themselves are pitched in a key other than C because the timbre of such C instruments is rarely preferred. It is the performer's duty to produce the composer's desired pitches on these instruments with music written at concert pitch. The composer only needs to consider transposition when writing for British brass band or other contexts where these instruments are transposed to B♭ on the treble clef.

Trombones all read at bass clef concert pitch."

(From Transposing instruments )

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's Easy To Make Music, page 129

First, I apologize and stand corrected to the extent that ALL bass brass instruments are NOT TRANSPOSING. However, I can't match what you've presented with the Conn chart for Bb tenor trombone at http://www.cgconn.com/pdf/Trombone.pdf

Too, it is according to this Conn chart that I play my T-bone. Likewise I play euph per like Conn chart for euph, bari, and valve trombone, or the chart for the CC and BBb and my Yammy mello in F, from the Yamaha chart as came with it. True, I've never played a bass instrument from the hymnal ... only Bb trumpet or cornet with which I do have to transpose.

4. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
  5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Wow! Thanks! I was considering selling my King because I was having a lot of trouble with it and so it has sat unused for so many years (beyond my fingers & thumbs count) albeit I have kept it lubed and oiled. Now I may keep it and attempt to re-visit it again.

Still, such scared me so much that I searched internet for the Conn-Selmer chart for euph, bari, and V-T-bone in lieu of the C.G.Conn - United ... version but thankfully they were the same vis the second line Bb is open (0 valves depressed) and the B 123 depressed and while the Bb in the first space above the bass clef is again open the B is 23 depressed.

The solo euph I played of Silent Night was memorized, but as I remember was from the melody in treble clef, but lowered with a key signature change in addition to transposition from concert C instrument music. Somewhere in still unpacked moving boxes is the finalized music from which I memorized it. Yeah, I'm now primarily a Bb trumpet / cornet player and mostly now for my own enjoyment with only occasional performances in church or the sounding of live Taps with either these instruments or a G bugle.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I can play a simple "C" scale on the slide trombone. that is a "C" scale according to the Korg tuner -- so it registers the same as the trumpet "Bb" for the "C" -- but to not complicate things -- yes I can play a simple (low) C scale on the bone --- but I am taking it easy and only doing 10 minutes a day --AFTER my trumpet practice is over..