Valves, Body Chemistry or Bad Habits

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Aug 29, 2014.

1. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Before I learned proper dental hygiene, I cleaned out my trumpet with detergent, warm water, and a tubing brush about once a month, because it needed it. Now that I brush and floss at least twice a day (usually planning this with whenever I'm ready to pick up my horn), I have yet to brush out any of my horns. I lube the valves before use, and I periodically check the inside of the tubing with a flashlight to monitor any discoloration, buildup, or corrosion. There isn't any. I use Herco Spit Balls once a week, and this, combined with dental care, has kept the insides of my horns absolutely clean.

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Fine informative thread, Patrick! Thank you for starting it.
    Jim

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Simple. You have great horns and you take good care of them.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That must hurt like hell. Do you use them before or after flossing?

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I find that isopropyl alcohol achieves this as well, plus gives you disinfectant properties.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am betting if you take Mrs Seth into the shower too, that old-fashioned look will turn into a new-passion look (with or without the trumpet).

Sethoflagos likes this.
  7. limepickle

limepickle Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I don't know about your friends, but many players (even advanced) are pretty careless with the way they finger.
    They'll have really flat fingers, and sometimes they even eat a ton of food or drinks like you've suggested. Believe it or not,
    when Wayne Bergeron was in the middle of a set with my band back in high school, he was in the back room having
    quite a bit of sugary foods. But I guess he could afford it, or maybe he made up for it with a lot of cleaning. I have
    very acidic body chemistry, but it has never affected the valves. Like you, valves have not really been an issue for
    me throughout my playing career. I could not imagine someone being routinely so harsh as to actually bend the
    valve casings on multiple horns, but that I guess is a possibility with people that are careless with throwing their horn around
    on gigs.

8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I put them in my mouth, and then shoot them out my nose. Clears the sinuses. Makes circular breathing easier.

9. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I think some valves are just better. Bach Strad 37 - few issues over 35 years. Courtois Flugel - ultra pure every day.

10. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    I have to agree with this. Bach valves are pretty bullet proof. But the older instrument makers just didn't know how to do it as well. Simple as that. It's like a bmw 3 series compared to an old MG. The 2.5 liter straight six will run forever. The wood burning stove in the MG will not! ROFL