Valves, Body Chemistry or Bad Habits

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've had issues with the second valve on my B6 caused excess pressure from my hands--the second valve slide would get slightly bent. (Not surprising with a slightly bent player.)

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm pretty sure that the lighter fluid has disinfectant properties too.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I looked all over medical sites and could not find one recommending lighter fluid as a sterilization method (by soaking). Using it to light a flame for needle sterilization is recommended. I would not recommend flaming a valve casing however. The journal Chest (September 2010) does demonstrate that isopropyl alcohol sterilizes brass instruments (the studied trombones). So isopropyl alcolhol is medically proven to sterilize, lighter fluid, only by using it to heat a surface.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Just because you didn't find it on a medical site doesn't mean that it won't work as a disinfectant. The main component of lighter fluid is naphtha, which can be used as a biocide. If you stop to think about it, is any site going to recommend using gasoline as a disinfectant? Probably not, but I'm quite certain that bacteria is killed by it.

If you google search for "naphtha antiseptic" you'll find dozens of references for how it can be and has been used that way.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I thought only anesthesiologists used gas.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Careful with this logic. Even isopropyl alcohol under 90% is not proven as an antiseptic. Anything that "contains" some naptha (decreased concentration from the active substance) needs to be held in suspect-quilt by association. Just because lighter fluid "contains it" does not mean it is at the adequate concentration to act as an antiseptic. No proof means it may not work. Again, I cannot find any medical evidence that lighter fluid acts (by soaking) as an antiseptic. I feel as the "unofficial" medical adviser to TM, I cannot endorse it's use as such without evidence.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Take in a big breath before playing your horn... Keep doing it... breathe deeper... There you go... You are using gas. Trumpet players use gas... QED.

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I haven't seen naphtha used in a cigarette lighter since the old Zippo I had nearly 40 years ago. They're pretty well all butane now aren't they?

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Seth, I use two Zippos regularly. Both use fluid not butane. Pretty sure there's at least some naptha in the formula. I prefer the Zippo fluid to Ronsonol, more volitile(SP?). The butane lighters seem to fail at the most inopportune moments( at least the cheapies). Wind considerations as well:dontknow::lol::oops: