valves slightly sticking.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Aug 7, 2011.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Hi i am having a bit of trouble with my first and third valves slightly sticking on my Strad cornet, it only happens after playing for a while. i do keep them oiled of course.

2. MSfortissimo

MSfortissimo Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    You can try changing the type of oil you use. I used BERP bio oil for a long time and one day switched to Hetman #2. Huge change in the speed of my valves. Not every horn works with every oil so experimentation may necessary. Good Luck!

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    When my valves are sticking, and oil isn't helping, I clean my valves. I use a lint-free cloth to wipe down the valves and swab the casings. Then I re-oil.

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    +1

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If just cleaning doesn't help, alcohol or acetone are good options to remove any build up accumulated over time. Acetone has done the trick for me on several vintage horns with unseen crud that slowed the valves after playing awhile. Use the acetone OUTSIDE!! It is very strong.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
  7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    +1
    also the combination of valve oil and slide grease can be a problem. I had the same issue with my strad... changed to Hetmens (I am sure Ultra Pure is just as good) and a non lanolin based slide grease .... after multiple cleanings to get the sludge out it everything was fine. Thanks to the Ultra Pure rep for that info by the way. The only reason I went to the Hetmens was The Horn Guys in Long Beach didn't stock it.

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Outside of the HOUSE - not the trumpet!:shhh:

I agree with Ivan on this. In every case where I have had sticking valves, it was one of these three. Apparently, it is possible for irregular wear to contribute especially if the plating is worn off the pistons. I have had only one case where one of the recommended approaches would not resolve the problem and that was one with badly worn valves. The proper fix would have been replating but the horn wasn't worth it so I resorted to a Teflon spray that is often used on guns and leaves a semi-permanent coating.

But, I doubt that is your situation. Start with the cleaning techniques. Alcohol has worked well for me.