VALVES!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Wynton, Jul 24, 2005.

1. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I use Hetman valve oil. I have found that Al Cass doesn't really do a good job on my valves. For me, it tends to dry up quickly and cakes a little bit.

2. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Zaja Blue. If you have to ask why, you won't understand.

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

It isn't an old Yamaha is it?

4. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Okay, You all are really starting to sway me.

I've used Al Cass religiously for years and refused anything else. My getzen very rarely requires oiling but on very hot/humid summer days they can tend to stick up a lot...so after reading this thread maybe, just maybe...

er....blue juice? Does the stuff really make that big a difference?

5. VINTAGEBRASS

VINTAGEBRASS Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2004
    Branson
    I had used Roche Thomas for years in my Strad. Then, for what reason I do not know, I switched brands. I don't recall the brand and did not use it long, but from then on the valves were constantly sticking. I tried having it cleaned, but nothing seemed to work. I ended up, giving up on the Strad and bought a Vintage One. Then someone told me about Blue Juice. I tried it in the V1 and it worked great. I then tried it in the Strad and it seemed to work on that as well. However, the first time I took it to a gig a little into the second hour the valves started sticking again. So again I gave up on the Strad. Then about two months ago I was introduced to Ultra Pure. I cleaned up the Strad, used the Ultra Pure and it plays like a brand new horn. It will even make it through 3 and 4 hour gigs with no problems. I have friends who have had great luck with all the above oils, but for me the Ultra Pure is what works. I guess I used a long story to say that you might want to try a variety of oils until you find the one that works for you.

6. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Blue Juice is for the olfactorially challenged.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ditto. I stopped using Al Cass when I got my first bottle of Zaja Blue.

8. Ralph

Ralph Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
  9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I have found that Zaja scented oils best for my older horns. (I like the vanilla)
    And Zaja blue for my new horn.
    I never like Cass oil; or the way it smelled or felt on my hands.

-cw-

10. murph66

murph66 New Friend

May 16, 2005
    Put in another vote for Zaja Blue. I use it on both my Severinsen and Lawler and it works great. Just need to oil about once a week and I play almost daily, usually on the Lawler.
    George Murphy