VALVES!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Wynton, Jul 24, 2005.

1. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    Al Cass is not oil bsed, it is silicon based.Most of the store brand oils are rebottled Al Cass.

2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Al Cass is Petroleum based - quoting from the bottle in front of me (untouched since I discovered Snake Oil) "contains petroleum distillates."

3. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    Silicon is a petroleum distillate, I believe.

4. Ralph

Ralph Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    No, silicone is silicone. Petroleum distilates are hydocarbon compounds such as diesel fuel, kerosine, gasoline etc which are distilled from crude oil. They have different boiling points and, because of that, can be separated from each other and crude by a distillation process.

Silicon is the second most abundant element in the earth's crust, comprising around 28% of it. It is not found in its elemental form but occurs mainly as oxides and silicates. In contrast to carbon, silicon-silicon bonds are uncommon. Natural silicon-carbon bonds are extremely rare but they can be created synthetically.

Sorry. I'm a bit of a chemistry geek. :roll:

PS: I should add: Silicon is an element. Silicone is a synthetic material
    This is from a Silicone breast implant site:

http://www.silicone-review.gov.uk/silicone/

Silicones are synthetic polymers and are not therefore found naturally. They have a linear, repeating silicon-oxygen backbone akin to silica. However, organic groups attached directly to the silicon atoms by carbon-silicon bonds prevent formation of the three-dimensional network found in silica. These types of compound are also known as polyorganosiloxanes. Certain organic groups can be used to link two or more of these silicon-oxygen backbones and the nature and extent of this crosslinking enables a wide variety of products to be manufactured. The most important materials used in medical implants are fluids, gels and rubbers (elastomers) whose physical and chemical properties include, amongst others, a high degree of chemical inertness, thermal stability and resistance to oxidation.

OK. That's enough! EEY GAD, I'm a nerd and a geek. I'll be quite now.

5. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    Knowing actual facts about chemistry does not make you a geek.
    I stand corrected. Thank you for your erudite post.

6. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you are going to quote something you should be sure to give credit to the author. ---CLICK ME---

7. Ralph

Ralph Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    I just added to my post. I got cared away reading about it tonight. I already practiced and monday night TV is horrible. Thanks for peaking my interest and I really didn't mean to be rude if it came off that way.

8. Ralph

Ralph Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Actually, I did while you were writting your post. That is the correct thing to do.

9. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    I think Al Cass is Silicone based. Which is a petroleum derived product.
    According to the web site you cited.

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Huh? I thought it established that petroleum products and silicon are different natural sources. Silicon is an element. What part of petroleum is elemental? What am I missing?

ML