Valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BachM, Nov 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. BachM

BachM Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2015
    North Carolina, USA
    70s Bach Mercedes.

P.S. my tech said to try and play it and see how it does, if the problem still shows I am to bring it back for replating.

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    How bad are the valves? On my 48 I figured the valves for trash but Hetmans 3 saved the day! I can see on the valves themselves plenty of ware and when depressed half way I have probably 3/8" total side to side play. I can tell I guess how the valves were pushed all these years by matching my fingertips with the ware on the buttons. I scrubbed this thing out a few times now and have been using the Hetmans and it's become favorite horn to play. What makes you sure your valves are Monel? Either way order some Hetmans 3 and then see how you feel about those valves

3. BachM

BachM Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2015
    North Carolina, USA
    Not too bad, just every now and then, which is still detrimental for my fast parts. I have ordered Hetman's Classic which I believe is #3.

Just a questions, what does the wear look like? Do you have picture?

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You could also try Blue Juice which is good at cleaning the residuals out. Fred Powell recommends it on rebuilds. I've used it on sticky valves and it does wonders. It also smells good! :roll:

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That Mercedes is worth the replating if needed IMO.

6. BachM

BachM Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2015
    North Carolina, USA
    Hetman's classic is supposed to work well on older instruments.

7. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I'm the worst at posting pics but I'll describe the best I can
    The valves themselves have worn through the nickel to the brass or copper below, not the entire surface but on a vertical line extending from maybe 1/2" from bottom to the top of the valve and it tapers wider at the center. One of the valves #2 I think even feels flat. The ware on the buttons is the pearl and edge of the brass is worn at a slant not bent just missing material. The work as fast as I can go.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    During normal playing usage, valve casings wear in a "bottle of coke" or egg-timer shape, large at the ends and small in the middle. They also wear oval, with the large dimension at right angles to the lead pipe. This wear causes leakage, which makes the trumpet hard to play, or more "resistant"; and chattering of valves, which induces them to stick. To rectify this, the casings must be precision honed to make them perfectly cylindrical. Then the valves need to be trued cylindrical and then plated to bring them up to an appropriate diameter for the casings.

It is very common for an instrument requiring this amount of treatment to need other repairs as well, however the valve rebuild, or piston refit part normally runs $400-450.

9. BachM

BachM Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2015
    North Carolina, USA
    I think mine are similar in wear, they have vertical lines downwards in places across the valve itself.

10. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    $500 for a valve overhaul doesn't really sound bad if otherwise you like your horn! When the time comes I plan on sending my 48 out for a complete restore