van Laar

Discussion in 'Kadleck's Corner' started by Ed Kennedy, May 31, 2017.

1. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Tony,

I was cruising the Hub van Laar site and noticed that you are one of their artists playing the BR4. How is it working for you? What do you like about it? How does the reverse leadpipe affect the instrument?
    Regards,

Ed Kennedy

MJ likes this.
  2. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Hi Ed -

I had been playing a B2 for years. While I do have a BR4, I haven't been using it - I've been with Yamaha for a while now. Hub does make excellent stuff, and I'm still using his B3 flugelhorn.

Thanks Ed -
    Tony

rettepnoj likes this.
  3. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Yamaha has been turning a lot of heads. You are in good company with all the great Yamaha artists. I attended a workshop with Wayne Tanabe about 6 months ago and met Bryan Lynch a few years ago in Orlando, who sounded great on his Artist NY. What is your go-to Bb now?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  4. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I don't think the BR4 has a reversed leadpipe. I am not 100% sure but I think only the B3 and the B6 have a rl.
    BTW the "R" is only a serial indication with Van Laar.

5. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Hi Ed -

I'm on an old 6335 now.

Thanks!
    Tony

6. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Those are good horns. I had a 6345 for a while. A college kid brought it into my shop and said it wouldn't play and traded it in on an old Bach. I checked it out and it was f*%ked up. I said to myself:" Self, this can't be right." So I took it apart and finally ran some chasers through the bell from the stem. Low and behold, out popped a pencil stub that had been stuck in the bow. I played that horn myself for the next 6 months.