Variety within a trumpet section

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hornlife98, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    Hello everyone,
    I am new to this forum, but I have been stalking for quite a while, and I was wondering if having one flugelhorn would make sense in an eight-person trumpet section that is within a winds-only marching band. This marching band would have 38 winds, 22 of them brass players, a few being mellophones.

I look forward to participating in thoughtful trumpet discussion.
    Thanks

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    For what purpose would you have the flugelhorn? If you intend to give him solos often enough to justify his presence, sure. If it's to add color to the other brasses, forget it.

3. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    I am the student wishing to use the flugelhorn. It is very possible I get solos, but I want to use the flugelhorn because, well, I love it. I have a quality horn, and, after the fall marching season, I am weary of blaring trumpets, so I wanted to play a cooler, mellower horn. Will it not add color to the mellophones and thicken the middle-high brass?

The reason I ask here is because I do not want to look like a fool asking my director if I can march the flugel.

4. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    ...so you ask us, instead? Your teacher gets the last vote. I'd just tell your teacher exactly what you posted above.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I agree with your suggestion - thought that at first myself -- but perhaps the OP is mainly looking for a reality-check before talking to the musical director?

--bumblebee

6. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    I say it's worth a shot asking your director - and there's nothing wrong with coming to a forum to gather ideas! The only instances I personally knew of flugels and mellos being used simultaneously was in a group with about eight [!] flugels and eight mellos...

7. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    ...which sounded like someone leaning on an organ keyboard with their forearm

8. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    ...with the blower switched off.

I will try to find video, if I can. [EDIT] I can't...darn
    In the meantime, I have the name of the group that inspired the instrumentation I mentioned:
    Instrumentation – The Ohio State University Marching ...

https://osumarchingband.com/osumb/instrumentation/
    The Ohio State University Marching Band has changed several times over the years ... the same demanding physical standards, whether playing trumpet or sousaphone. ... 10 E-flat Cornets; 44 B-flat Trumpets; 18 Flugelhorns; 24 Mellophones ..

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
  10. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    That would be the Drum Major with his baton. Imagine yourself doing a standing backflip with an 18"-to-24" hat on. In my youth there were more Drum Majorettes. Their movements were, shall we say more fluid, and they were accompanied by a group of majorettes. Much easier on the eyes....