Variety within a trumpet section

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hornlife98, Nov 17, 2014.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Imagine doing - that's all I can do, as actually doing is beyond my capability.

Drum Major -- I thought they only lead bands during straight marching, but wikipedia informs me thus: "Many college bands have drum majors who are very much part of the visual element of a field show. Rather than conduct as a corps-style drum major would, traditional drum majors often march on the field with the band, using a mace or baton to keep time and flourish their own movements."

--bumblebee

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Duh.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I say NO flugelhorn in a trumpet section. The problem is that the thicker sound simply screws up the section sound. I could care less if someone loves the flugelhorn or not, it is a different instrument and does not serve the intentions of those that score registers.

To integrate the flugelhorn sound would require a section of them and very careful reworking the score to effectively use the sound.

It wasn't so long ago when band music had separate cornet and trumpet parts. Even then, the flugel would have been a very weak replacement for the cornet.

A final word about Band: it is about "WE" not "ME".

4. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    Now that I have some feedback, I realize that marching a flugel would not be such a great idea unless there were more flugels, and with a band our size, having a flugel section is impractical. Thanks for the feedback, and I look forward to participating in more trumpet discussion!

5. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    We have a lot of charts where one or more of the lower trumpet parts list flugelhorn for the piece. Almost like it's a mute switch.

Most of the time, we all just use bucket mutes. It's not the correct sound, but if we mix flugels and buckets, the intonation problems come out like this equation: (mute makes everything sharp + flugel intonation quirks + 3rd/4th community band trumpet player intonation funkiness).

All that having been said, my perspective is that if your leader doesn't have a clear enough concept of the sound they want and how to go about getting it, it probably doesn't matter all that much what people play, or how well.