Various weight Monette trumpets

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Kevin Hilman, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Kevin Hilman

Kevin Hilman Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Dear Manny,

I doubt this qualifys as a "911" type of inquiry but I wanted to get your opinion on this trumpet/horn related topic. I'm curious as to what your opinion is of the various weight trumpets that are made by Dave Monette. I've seen references that indicate that you've at least played everything from a standard weight horn up to the AJNA with sheet bracing. Which of these model types do you most enjoy playing and or hearing. If you could wave a magic wand and make all of your section- mates have matching equipment would you choose all Rajas, Ajnas, 993s or what? Or do you feel that it's best to coordinate the horn your playing with the music your playing?
    I've personally only played the 993 C and my 61X C and love them both. In a perfect world, I probably would have prefered to buy a 993 but money can be tight. Generally I like the recorded sounds of all Monette models I have heard. The one exception I can think of is Marsalis's recording of "Eiffel Tower Polka" on "On the 21st Century" It sounds strange to me to have this light, brisk, comical piece played on this anvil of a Raja!
    Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Kevin,

Since the Prana 1 has the same sound as an Ajna II I go with the Prana 1. If I could wave a magic wand and have everybody like it that's what I'd want them to like. I love that horn! It's a very broad sound like the Prana and the high registers fairly screams when you want it to. The softs are beautiful and sweet sounding. So, there you go.

I can't imagine what the Ajna II in a Prana version would be like. Nor do I know if Dave has a shop sample. It woudn't fit with the section as it stands now, the difference would be too disparate and frankly the Prana 1 is plenty of sound for Orchestra Hall. Really, don't need any more sound than that.

ML

3. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Just out of curiousity, what are Bob and Doug playing now? When they left Albuquerque years ago, I think Bob was playing a Blackburn C, and Doug was playing a yamaha Bb that was converted to C by Malone. Just curious. Thanks for all of your input to this forum, Manny.

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Eric,

Pretty much the same except that Doug has one of those new Yamahas and seems very happy with it. I don't know what model it is. Bob remains on his Blackburn.

ML

5. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    I was wondering if you guys ever have any problems blending, since you are all playing on pretty different equipment. I would assume not, knowing what tremendous musicians you three are. (I don't know the other trumpet player in your orchestra, though I am sure he is great as well.) Please tell Bob and Doug I say "Hi," and that Albuquerque misses having such fine trumpet players.

6. gordygourmet

gordygourmet New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    St. Cloud
    As far as the MnOrch trumpet section blending, they do a fantastic job! No one sticks out, and man, when they want to, they can blow the roof off the sucker! this is coming from an audience perspective. Like you have said many times Manny, I wish more people would take notice of the awesome sounds being made here in our fair state! The whole orchestra is fantastic, but being a trumpet player, the Manny, Bob, Doug and Chuck show is my main reason for going! Can't wait to hear you again,

patrick

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Thanks, Patrick.

Next week will be the M, B and D show as C is gone for a while. We're playing Shostakovitch 5th with the Boss. I'll be curious to see what he does with it. Tune in if you can't be there. Bob and I are getting our high Cs ready for the last page.

Actually, y' know what? This will be a good concert to go to if you want to know about the blend of our section. One could well decide for oneself with this particular repertoire.

ML

8. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Speaking of Shost. 5, do you guys just use the Bb's for that 1 phrase that goes down to the low F concert, then switch right back to the C's?

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Mike,

I do but who knows what'll happen next week? Guess you'll have to come to the show!

ML

10. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    heh heh.........I was planning on it.

:-)