Velocity studies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Oct 18, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    How do Velocity studies help? What are some good books for Velocity Studies? Are there any TMer warnings about Velocity Studies?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Velocity studies are there to turn precision into habits. Endless repeats of specific motions are necessary to reprogram your body. I am a big fan of turning precision into a habit!

3. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    rowuk, Can you suggest some books that focus on Velocity studies?I have Arbans, Clark, Schlossberg, and Chichowicz Flow Studies. Perhaps there's something in one of these books that could be used? Thanks.......crow

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hey crowmadic, all the books will work great for velocity. The clark etudes at the end of chapter are great. Every book out there is useful, it's just in how the performer uses them. Peace.

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I use Clarke and St. Jacome

6. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i use all of the above too. vizzutti has some too also look in brandt orchestral etudes there are several in there that can be used too.

also velocity studies help with getting you to move air in a never ending stream rather then chopping up note by note.

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Crow,
    I thought about this last night a bit more.

I think a very important part of velocity studies is the 120% precision (finger movement being ABSOLUTELY rhythmic and synchronous with the tonguing) required. The trick is not to play as fast as you can, but to stretch the envelope on how fast your precision can still be maintained. A metronome is an absolute must. ANY irregularity means that you need to slow down again.

I play these things softly and really bang the valves down (fast transitions between notes). In theory, 30 minutes of velocity studies should not waste your chops (but your fingers will get tired!)! St. Jacome has these things written out with all of the articulation variations.

Remember, even although precision is critical to musicality, a well rounded routine will move you forward faster!

8. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    I appreciate all the recommendations but HOW DO I INDENTIFY A GOOD VELOCITY EXERCISE?.........crow

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The St Jacome ones are based on scales, series of notes sometimes just covering a 5th (C,D,E,F,G,F,E,D repeated). This pattern can be committed to memory-perfectly. Then we tie two, tongue two and commit that to memory / tie 3, tongue one / tongue one, tie three / tongue all. Each combination requires something a bit different from our motor system. By practicing this stuff in perfect rhythm, we store well prepared patterns for future use.
    Important for these studies is the limited range and repetition! We want to store tidbits not big chunks.

10. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    rowuk, Once again...thanks.......crow