Venice, Rome, Milan and Tuscanny

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jimi Michiel, May 5, 2005.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hey all,
    I just got a call a few days ago to go to Italy as a ringer with one of the local youth orchestras. We'll be flying into Milan, then going to Vinice, Tuscanny and, finally, Rome.
    So here's my idea: Being the geek that I am, I was thinking about finding appropriate excerpts to play for each place I go. For example, we'll be playing in an ampetheatre outside of Rome, in the middle of the woods, so obviously I would play Pines of Rome there. And, if I can find a fountain in Rome, I could play fountains. In Venice, I think I'll try to find Stravinsky's grave and either play Petrouchka or Firebird. And, of course, Carnival of Venice (better start practicing).
    Any other suggestions? I should be able to come up with a lot more, but that's what you guys are for. :D I'll be sure to post pictures of my exploits when I get back.
    -jimi

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    So, let me get this straight:

You're going off to Italy, playing music, seeing grave sites of immense musical and historic significance, eating some of the best food in the world, all during la Primavera, and you want to know if we have any suggestions for you?

Yeah, I got a couple of suggestions for ya...

ML

PS

Bring back a plate of any pasta a la carbonara for me and I might forgive you. Extra garlic, please.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I notice you are from Boston. What group are you going with?

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    My orchestra is touring Italy in the summer.

And one suggestion: find the site of the temple of Venus, and play the carnival of Venus :lol:

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    NEC's Youth Symphony

No way, man, no way. (Unless somebody can give me advice on triple tounging octaves). But Venus from Holsts planets? oh yeah. One question: where is the temple of Venus?

You got it, Manny. Can I give it to you next fall?

-jimi

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    CJH (another member of this board) and I used to be a part of that group back in the day. In fact we both went on many of the tours through NEC with the Wind Ensemble and the Youth Philharmonic. We were there with a very famous Youth Philharmonic / NEC "ringer" Tom Cupples. Those were the days ;-)

7. CJH

CJH Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Yep, those were the glory days alright... Tom Cupples, mmcourt, and Ben Zander all in one room, now there is a recipe for fun. Now that Tom's an official Trumpet Star I guess we should try to get some lessons with him :-)

I know you're not going to Sicily but I think you should play the godfather solo, from a gondola, up an octave (or two). Just to see what happens.

Have fun, sounds like a great trip in store for you!
    -Chris

8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Don't worry about the excerpts, enjoy the pasta :D

Actually, saying that, I am just as much of a geek as you are - I was in Leipzig a couple of years ago, with one of the groups I tutor, and we were lucky enough to play a concert in the ThomasKirche - the church where Bach was Keppelmeister. I warmed up with a whole bunch of Bach excerpts, including Brandenburg - didn't do my chops any good whatsoever, but did bring a smile from a couple of the locals (who I got chatting to afterwards - both trumpeters and they appreciated my warm up :D )

9. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Zander's "Youth" Orchestra = Rite of passage for generations of NEC brass players (and wind, percussion and harp players)

Every year he seems to get nuttier and nuttier... This summer's YPO tour is to South America with Rite of Spring. And as usual, Zander has hired the craziest bunch or NEC ringers he could find. I just hope they make it back to Boston :D
    -jimi