Vericosed or burst vein in upper lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LCBB trumpet2, Mar 6, 2009.

1. LCBB trumpet2

LCBB trumpet2 New Friend

Mar 5, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Hello folks. After 30 years without music I too felt something was missing but never lived anywhere I could find a band to play in. In year 2000 a band was started in my community so I jumped in and am thoroughly enjoying it. Problem is I have been relearning on my own, bad mistake I know, and have now burst or split a vein in my upper lip. My question is what now? Do I need to stop playing for a while to correct it? So far it is only a small blood pocket inside the lip but is sensitive to pressure.
    I searched about 40 pages here for another thread on this but gave up for lack of time. Any help appreciated. Kevin:-)

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I would first consult with my doctor. Second once it is healed I would find a good competent teacher. You are probably using way too much pressure, but no one on the internet can decide that since we can not see you play.

3. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anything like that?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Kevin,
    if you value the idea of being able to continue playing in the long term, see a doctor and then get a second opinion.

It is possible that others have gone through something "similar", but I would NEVER bank my chops on another persons face.

5. Artemisia

Artemisia Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2009
    Austria
    :shock:

Srsly, stop playing. NOW.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If this advice is serious, why stop, for how long and with what consequence?

7. Artemisia

Artemisia Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2009
    Austria
    Why stop - this "thing" will never disappear (heal) if LCBB doesn't stop playing immediately. It might not disappear completely anyway, but at least there's a chance of that thing out of his mouth in case he (LCBB) quits playing now.

For how long - depends on how long it takes that thing to heal. As I've said before, it might not heal a 100 per cent any more (due to the massive damage), but the longer you don't strain your lips by playing the trumpet, the better are the chances that this vein can "repair itself" (I'm talking about self-healing power). LBCC should see a doc asap - if he doesn't get "this thing" treated properly, his lip might even end up paralyzed due to that "thing" affecting all these fine nerves in the lip.

With what consequence - first of all: get that thing treated properly and stop playing the trumpet for a while (a few weeks at least). In case you can start playing again - get proper lessons. I guess LCBB has been playing with too much pressure - he should learn how to use any pressure at all so that this gross "thing" won't come back again.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
  8. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Kevin,

Go ahead and see a doctor as soon as you can so you won't worry yourself more than is necessary. Let the doctor know you play a trumpet, let him make a diagnosis then go from there.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

9. LCBB trumpet2

LCBB trumpet2 New Friend

Mar 5, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Thanks for all your suggestions folks. My problem looks similar to to bottom picture posted, a very small, actually smaller than the picture shows, blister and also slight streak on the outside of the lip. I am working hard to minimize pressure from the mouthpiece. We had a two hour practise last night on trumpet and it doesn't seem to make the blister swell, feels fine this morning.
    I have been playing jazz on trumpet and Euphonium with concert band, one practise each per week, it seems the Euphonium mp agrivates it more than the trmpt mp. After a two hour practise with the larger mp I notice the next morning the blood pocket is larger with more pressure in it and painfull to push on it.
    Guess I will be stopping Euphonium now for sure. Still thinking about the trpt, maybe try a couple more weeks and see what happens. Also will talk to a doc about it.
    Thanks again, Kevin

10. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    Those pictures are of something called a mucocele. I had one on my bottom lip and had to have it surgically removed. They ran a biopsy just to be on the safe side. If you search Wikipedia for mucocele you'll find out more about it.

I'm not saying that's what it is (I'm no doctor - you should definitely see one!) but it sounds remarkably similar. Mine also used to fill with blood, and I'd bite it quite regularly by accident. It came on without warning.

A mucocele can be removed; I had mine done as an outpatient. However, I now have a lump of scar tissue in my lower lip which means I play with a slight offset embouchure.

Anyway, you need to see a doctor.