Verticle Valve alignment @ home

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Stop.....you're only confusing me.:D

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Brian,
    I don't think the semantics are significant, aligning in only one plane with corks and felts (perhaps technically incorrect but for the lay person understandable as up and down which is a vertical motion) is probably better than nothing at all. Aligning by rotation (left/right which to the lay person represents a horizontal movement) or custom valve guides is something for a pro. At the end of the day, we just want the horn to play better - or believe that it does anyway.

Bob Reeves avoids "horizontal" and "vertical". He just uses the terminology up- and downstroke. The BrassBow ( The Brass Bow Music Co. ) uses the lay terminology.

Vertical Hold on my old TV stopped an up and down rolling of the picture.

3. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Okay, so let's talk new horns....

...like my Getzen 900S. Shouldn't the horn come from the factory in perfect alignment? Or am I just dreaming? I can understand my old cornet & trumpet from the 60's having the felts worn out from all those blistering scale practices through the years, but my new horn.....an alignment already? Haven't dropped in a pot hole yet, should be good to go.....:cool: ..chuck

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Why don't we have to adjust the TV any more?

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Modern TVs have huge circuits on chips which provide those adjustments automatically, programmed to maintain the paramenters needed to prevent V & H roll. One old TV we had needed a kick in the underside to do it.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    So on a rotary is vertical alignment horizontal and vice versa? Or am I just twisted.....?

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Re: Okay, so let's talk new horns....

Depends on the manufacturer. Many times very tight tolerances increase the chance of a malfuntion. Super tight valves could hang if sombody squeezed the valve cluster too tightly. We can expect "reasonable" on a mass produced horn. Tweeking costs money and time - and that is not good for shareholder value for companies mass producing horns..............

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    VB,
    It depends if your rotary is a Ganschhorn or not!

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Not only ganschorns....my former trumpet teacher had a lechner rotary piccolo with upright action valves....

10. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Sansone made some regular Bb trumpets in that configuration.
    Wilmer