Very Cool Afternoon

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by miles71, Jun 16, 2008.

1. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    This past Sunday I had the opportunity to hang out with Ken Brader, the lead trumpet with the Philadelphia Pops Orchestra. Circumstances where so he was driving right by my place on the way back from a gig in Va. We had talked a few times previously about some trumpet issues and agreed to meet up on Sunday and do some talking and playing together. I saw this as a great opportunity to pick his brain about trumpets and playing in the Philadelphia area.

Ken had a few new horns with him from the NYTC I got to try out, they play nice. I believe both where prototypes of some new models Felix is working on. One was built similar to the old Callet Jazz model and the other was a Bronze belled Bb that had a GIANT sound. I was also able to try out one of the “Best Brass†mouthpieces. I don’t really try new pieces since I am so happy with the GR’s I have, so I tried it with a very closed mind. HOWEVER, after playing this thing I had to order one. It had a huge sound and was so easy to play I couldn’t believe it.

We talked, we played, we ate. It was a very cool afternoon. Ken is a really nice guy and our conversation about trumpet and performance was candid and enlightening. I am grateful he spared some time.

Ken will be taking part in the Md Trumpet Day this November; I hope many of you can attend.

TD

2. clousemiester

clousemiester Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2007
    Boca Raton
    Tell us more about this new mouthpiece you have ordered. This is a subject that a lot of us would be interested in hearing about in great detail. Big sound and easy to play! Sounds like everyones dream, come true!

3. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    As soon as I get it I will give an in depth review. I cant wait.....