very faint scratches on plate.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Dec 15, 2013.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Hi just bought a two year old Schilke B1, two questions would it benefit from a bath with foil and salt, and what is the best method of removing very very faint scratches from the plate.

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I wouldn't. Give it a normal bath and then a polish with Goddards silver polish. Fine scratches are pretty much inevitable, I'd not worry about them.

3. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I think you need baking soda as welll...and no, I wouldn't do it. Those faint scratches are usually made by polishing rags. The baking soda and foil will remove tarnish, but not scratches. I don't like this method, I don't like the idea of putting my trumpet in salt water, but that's just me, and I have better methods available to me. You could try getting a better polishing rag, but remember, every time you polish you remove some silver, and that silver is only so thick.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Agreed. With a fine silver polish, the shine dazzles through anything scratches may take away. Then buff this against a pair of baggy pants and we are talking brilliance, brilliance I say.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe this is also true, and I soak all my silver horns in hot water, baking soda, a dash of salt and aluminum foil in water. I use a fine polish rag ONLY around the scratched areas however and find it harder to notice the scratches when so doing. Baggy pants must be a soft felt... softly felt by the blonde groupie in the first row.

6. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Hi alant,

What this horn really needs is to be BLOWNROFL.

I use 3M Tarni Shield on both my silver S32 and GP B1, and you should wipe the horn down after each play with a soft cloth. My 15 year old 32 looks brand new.

Congratulations, and go blow a Merry Christmas!:grouphug:

Rick

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The aluminum foil and salt trick does a great job of removing tarnish from silver, but the downside is that it removes all the tarnish. The glow of polished silver comes from the patina, in which tarnish is trapped in the little scratches in the finish.

Baggy pants work fine, just don't wear them with boxer shorts and daydream about Jennifer Aniston during the sermon in a church gig.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    AND THAT, folks on TM is coming from "First Hand*"experience... I am sure of THAT.

*Nudge, Nudge.... A node is as good as a wink to a blind bat

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    If you do polish the scratches, a silver polishing cloth from the local jewellers will do less damage than most other methods - polish gently in the direction of the scratch.

10. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    I use washing soda (sodium carbonate) not salt, it's non-corrosive and also cuts grease. Be careful with the foil, aluminum is harder than silver and it'll scratch if you're not careful.

At only 2yo it seems unlikely that your horn would be black enough to warrant this kind of step. Regular silver polish (I use Hagerty's) ought to do whatever is necessary. I save the foil for the barn finds.