very faint scratches on plate.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Dec 15, 2013.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Maas Metal Protector will make the scratches disappear, once the trumpet has been polished using whatever product you select.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You guys would probably cringe in horror if you saw my B6. To put it mildly, I'm not really concerned with fine scratches.

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I am 10 times more concerned with the cleanliness of the horn where you can't see than the exterior.... My grandson came to church on an Easter when I was playing first trumpet on the Hallelujah Chorus. There were three trumpets sitting there: two bright, shiny Bachs and one dull Severinsen that looked like it had been caught in a hailstorm. My wife asked my son "Which trumpet do you think belongs to your Grandfather?" he pointed at a shiny Bach. She then asked him "Which horn looks like it has been played the most?" he pointed to my horn. At that point she said, "Your grandfather makes his living with his horn. It only makes sense that his horn is a tool, and the only thing he cares about is that the tool is in good working order and does what he wants it to do." My grandson took a life lesson from that, I hope.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    My horn is in pretty good shape all things considered. There is only one small, tiny ding on the bell down past the bow by the valve casing that you really have to look for to see, but it hasn't seen polish in a good long bit, and it has some "road rash" around the valve casings. I'm not the guy who flips horns frequently, and I'm like you - my horn gets a fair amount of work in the practice room, and it gets gigged. I keep it pretty clean on the inside though.

It isn't that I wouldn't want to keep it in better shape cosmetically, but it boils down to time - I'm a man who stays pretty busy with a full-time job, a wife, kids, house, etc, and I have more hobbies and interests than a guy should probably have, of which playing and gigging trumpet is only one of them. :D

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Once those tiny scratches (the ones that show up under stage lights) are there, you can't do much to get rid of them without removing some of the silver plating. All used horns are going to have them, so I wouldn't worry about it.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    You need to remember that Navies around the World have used brass and bronze in a salt water environment for a very long time - negligible corrosion occurs on brass with a salt water solution - I mix both salt and carb-soda in near boiling water - sparkles are the result.