Very high volume playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jaemard, Jan 21, 2013.

1. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    Small question for all you wise souls here on TM. I'm in a drum corps and I'm having to play extremely loud. My tone seems to be okay at these volumes, but the problem is there is a point when my sound just... cracks? I don't run out of air, but the sound just goes ka-put. How do I play at quadruple fortissimo+? I feel like I'm doing it wrong. And (I know this isn't the problem but might as well ask) could it possibly be a gear problem? Thanks.

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    It could be, there is a point at which a horn's bell "breaks" and there is nothing you can do. However, it doesn't happen as often as we think it does, most of the time it is your face that gives out. Even though you are moving some serious air, it still needs to be focused. When you lose control at higher volumes, air goes in all directions, not just through the horn and messes everything up.

What corps are you in?

Edit: Just relax and let your air flow freely. Don't force it out as much as let it flow out.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OR

You are just playing too loud!

Why? What purpose does this serve?

4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
  5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If you are using a shallow mouthpiece, you're probably blowing your lips hard enough to make them touch the bottom of the cup. When that happens, the vibration (and sound) stops. The cure is a slightly deeper cup, or a slightly narrower cup, or keep a firmer embouchure.

6. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    I made Mandarins in November and we're off to an awesome start. You probably hit the nail on the head with the relaxation thing, still trying to figure that out....

It serves the purpose of blending with the rest of a hornline playing at the same volume. And reaching a pressbox with said sound.

I enjoyed that. Haven't heard their 86 show before.

7. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Not to highjack the thread, but what you just said hit a chord, so to speak...maybe that's why I have notes that just crap out no matter what I do. ...Would a 7C be considered shallow then?:think:

8. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Probably not. I haven't seen many people bottom out on a 7C. It's a medium cup.

9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Play softer... no one will know.