Very high volume playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jaemard, Jan 21, 2013.

1. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    My section head walked up to me while we were in the arc and told me to play louder. Just doing what is asked of me.

2. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    "Remember what counts on trumpet is not volume, but projection. Stay in the center and let the horn project."

Eric Bolvin

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Shame he didn't say "better" in stead of "louder"

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  4. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Not to kill a thread, but to share my experience.
    I have 2 horns that trial and error have determined are the best for me. My Conn 60b will not crack notes no matter how hard I push it. But....this is with the original deep cup mouthpiece. If I try my 3c it will invariably "fuzz off" if I blow hard. ( which isn't hard, as my wife says, since I'm a blowhard).
    My Buescher # 9. Clear, super bright and piercing at all volumes, thanks to it's rapid, C trumpet-like bell flare and the solid, thick bell which they touted in ads as a "crackless" bell. The horn was designed when there was no electrical amplification for large ballroom dance bands. Although quite loud, piercing and out of place in modern ensembles it gets my point across. The easiest horn to blow, far less effort than my treasured Conns.

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Why is there so much animosity towards Drum Corps? I don't understand it. It isn't "marching band" like many of the members here believe it to be. It requires high levels skills that not all of us can do. 12 minute shows, with that much movement? Talk about understanding independent isolation of your body! What about the high levels of breath support, and control one most have to be able to do this? Advanced levels of flexibility, endurance, range, multi-tonguing, and control are not just recommended but required of the major corps. These skills not only have to be there, but already at the unconscious level so that they can focus on marching these intense, demanding shows. Not only that but it offers world class instruction to many students. I have yet to see someone come back from Drum Corps and not be vastly improved.

Moving on to your comment Jiarby, maybe the OP was playing just fine but wasn't up the volume of the section? I do not mean this reply as a personal attack, these comments have come from more than a few members.

With all that being said, I'll go back to my first comment. Why is there so much animosity and bad-mouthing of marching band, especially Drum Corps? I'm not a fan of rock bands, I've seen many players destroy their chops in rock bands, but am I going to trash it? No. Same thing goes for jazz, classical, or any another genre. Can we not appreciate the music for what it is?

And one last reiteration, this is not an attack on the poster, or any poster, I just fail to comprehend the libel of our fellow trumpet players because they play, do things, that we aren't fans of.

6. Conntribution

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Drum corps, schmum corps..I played in one......as long as they're playing who cares? Any musical aggregation of whatever stamp is quite positive and should be encouraged.

DaTrump likes this.
  7. Conntribution

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Well, trumpet is.......TRUMPET! Dixieland, big band, hard bop, fusion, rock, classical, school band....whatever.....the point is they're playing and obviously having a great time doing it with friends.
    Look, I have my likes and dislikes musically as who does not? But I always like and accept good, dedicated musicians of whatever style and stamp. There's room for all. You don't have to like it, nor listen to it for that matter. Just recognize it as a creative outlet. And that's the key.

8. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    what horn and mouthpiece do you use? Maybe you just needed to up the volume a tad. Blasting is one thing but keeping tone is another. I'm guessing you might have simply been a big shy. Don't be afraid to let it all hang out. In the drum corps you will be playing over noisy punks. Blast those punks out the stadium.

9. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    I have had students that have completely wrecked their chops from corps. I've also had students who've benefitted from playing in one. I'm not sure there's animosity here as much as concern that people might get hurt. A bunch of players playing full volume (not blasting as loud as possible) and playing in tune will probably sound much louder than random guys just blasting. I'm not a drum corps guy per se, but admit that I saw "Blast" and it was absolutely amazing (despite its' poor title).

TK

10. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    I'm just enjoying playing with a large group of musicians who are passionate about this. In my town, not many people are into music, so it's a great experience for me. We have a great and very knowledgable staff that is doing their utmost to turn us all into top notch musicians. It's not like I'm just blasting constantly, the opposite actually. I'm just trying to blend with everyone else. And to the horn and mouthpiece question: a King 1117 that has quite a few tours on it and a Buescher 30-7 as the rim feels most comfortable on my face. Thank you all for your input.