Very important question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Easytrumpet, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Easytrumpet

Easytrumpet New Friend

Jan 9, 2015
    US S.C.
    I have played the trumpet for 3 years so far and i have a question on where is the right place to put your mouth on the mouthpiece. When i play i put my mouth on the top of the mouthpiece with my my upper lip sometimes going above, outside of the mouthpiece cup and when i naturally buzz my lips on how i would play the trumpet i noticed that my upper lip is foward more and my bottom lip is more tucked in. The higher i put my mouth on the mouthpiece the higher i can play but the problem with all of this is i cant really play long, my lips are destroyed after i play for around an hour and i cant play high notes anymore and its real fuzzy and my upper lip especially is the worst. Is there a way i can fix all of this? Oh yeah and when i buzz my lips i notice that the air goes downwards but i sound really good playing like the way i have explained above but again my problem is it destroyes my lips, especially my upper lip and i cant really play anymore. How do i fix this? What should i do? Please help!

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Easytrumpet,
    Firstly, Welcome to TM.

Secondly, go for a nice sound, and where the mouthpiece feels comfortable. The placement will be different for each person, depending on teeth structure, lip thickness, jaw size etc, etc. Not a one fit for all at all.

My best advice is to have a good daily practice routine, and build your muscles up slowly. Cutting off higher notes is a sign of too much pressure. Try to avoid muscling (mashing) the mouthpiece into your teeth to get higher.

Produce a nice round sound, so long tones and lip slurs are the concrete that form the base for you to build on.

BTW maybe try a lesson with a good teacher - it can save you a lot of time, and give you first hand direction ON WHAT TO DO TO IMPROVE.

Good Luck.
    Cheers

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
  4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Easytrumpet!

I used to play exactly like you do--with a high placement and the lower lip sliding under the upper lip, until I started studying. Problem is, this kind of embouchure is very unstable. My "cure" was to place more pressure on my upper lip by holding the horn a bit higher and moving the jaw forward a tad (combined with a pucker). I sucked for about 6 months, though, but was willing to put in the time (I'd been playing for around 10 years at the time, and yeah, trust me, old habits can die hard!)

Ideally, we use both lips, working equally inside the mouthpiece, which improves sound, stability and endurance.

As Bumblebee pointed out, the internet is not the best place to find working solutions, and the advise you get here will be all over the map. What works for one player doesn't necessarily work for another. Your "cure" will perhaps be different than mine. Perhaps dropping your jaw a bit will do the trick--who knows? A real teacher, if good, can analyze your playing in seconds in a 3-D non-virtual environment and assign the proper exercises to improve your embouchure.

Whatever you try, it will seem revolutionary to you, although it is actually evolutionary.

Once again, welcome to TM!

Dupac likes this.
  5. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
  6. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    [​IMG]

7. Easytrumpet

Easytrumpet New Friend

Jan 9, 2015
    US S.C.
    So should i stop play in the top of the mouthpiece and with my top lip forward and my lower lip tucked in and switch so that both of my lips are even and my air stream is going forward and i'm in the middle of the mouthpiece?

8. Easytrumpet

Easytrumpet New Friend

Jan 9, 2015
    US S.C.
    Also Vulgano Brother can you explain how you switched to how you play now and is it better from the way you played before?

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am not so sure about foolproof. It is a very optimistic approach that could provide results IF the player is forming a reasonably "consistent" embouchure at all. It is also very dependent on muscle memory. This time of year after summer band programs, there are habits to be unlearned by many players. That would make this something that a teacher should help with.

It sure won't hurt anything and for any or all that find a better spot, GREAT.

10. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    This is what I'm suggesting might work. Your own "perfect" placement might vary. My sound got bigger as a result and could play very loudly with a good sound. Range didn't improve, but accuracy did.

Is your chin flat, or puckered when you play?