Very troubling.....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JHarris, Jul 19, 2004.

1. JHarris

JHarris New Friend

Jul 13, 2004
    I have just come back from the oral surgon(had my wisdom teeth removed) and he has advised me to lay off the trumpet for yet another week(week #5). I am gone crazy because this is SOOO LONG.

Can you guys think of anything that I can o to be musically productive? Perhapes embesure exercises, breathing stuff. ANYTHING I AM DYING!!!

Sorry for the alarm(the title).......

Thanks for reading,
    JHarris

2. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    You know, if you didn't MULTIPLE post your question and didn't KEEP posting you might be better off. You've had good advice!

Remember the story of the "Boy Who Cried Wolf"?

3. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

1. Practice your fingerings of all your scales (12 keys, major, minors, whole tone, diminished, chords ascending and descending, etc).

2. Transcribe some solos to develop your ears. Windows Media Player 9 has a new function that allows you to slow down music without changing the pitch so you won't need transcription software.

3. Pick a favourite tune and get a few different recordings of it to learn and compare how each player interprets it.

4. Clean your horn thoroughly.

5. Write out a set of goals for your playing over, say, the next six months and then set weekly and daily practice plans so you can reach them.

There's lots you can do!

4. JHarris

JHarris New Friend

Jul 13, 2004
    That is pretty good advice, ill try that. I like the scales the most, since I have not practiced that recently(within the past 10 weeks).

Thanks,
    Jharris

5. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

If you do scales, overstrike the keys (e.g., exaggerate the motion) and you will find the speed and accuracy transferring to your playing rather quickly.