Vibrato Exercises

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LH123, Nov 27, 2012.

1. LH123

LH123 Piano User

May 14, 2010
    Anyone have an exercise to teach vibrato technique? I feel that I need a lot of work in this area.

2. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    I would like to add to Lh's question, I like to use an embouchure vibrato and my teacher wants me to get away from it. what do most of the pro's use and how, a little of both hand and embouchure or just hand vibrato ?

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I would THINK (keyword there "think") that it is mostly air and embouchure. From what I've heard, hand vibrato doesn't project all that well, though some use it for different effects.

4. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    What do you mean by "doesn't project that well?" When I use hand vibrato (or when my father does, which is where I picked up the habit), I can definitely hear the effect.

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I was taught to say ai ai ai ai ai as I played long notes. Gradually saying it faster. That way you get to choose the speed that suits the style of music. My teacher will not let me use hand vibrato.

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    But at distances, depending on the how much vibrato and a few other factors, it may not project as well.

7. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Most of the old timers (pre 1960's) use the hand vibrato.
    Today's modern players use a combination (one or more) of the muscles of the tongue, face, lips, jaw and the use of the air to control the modulation in pitch to produce a vibrato. Doc uses hand vibrato.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, if your teacher does not let you use hand vibrato, he's out of line with quite a number of very great names in trumpet playing... ;Maurice André used it extensively; Guy Touvron is doing so; Ron Romm, Fred Mills did...

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, you may hear hand vibrato OK in a practice room, but it's projection deep into a concert hall is entirely different ... at best then it sounds like power pulsing or approximately half the sound duration not present. Voicing vibrato has more of wavering effect within the parameters of a quarter tone sharp and a quarter tone low of the true centered tone.

DaTrump likes this.
  10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Just don't become like a member of my community band who plays his tuning note with vibrato! (kill! kill!)

Tom