Vibrato Exercises

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LH123, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    It is because he wants me to learn the skill correctly, as Im sure those you quoted did, and not take the easy option of just wiggling the hand.

DaTrump likes this.
  2. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    Do whats comfortable to you. If it is the "sound" that you have in your head and thats what you want to sound like, keep doing it. Its all personal at the end of the day. If you don't mind me asking what style/kind of playing are you doing?

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Vibrato is the natural state, just listen to any untrained singer. We learn to work at stopping this vibrato to produce a "steady tone". To play with vibrato is to either not stop it, or you can continue to inhibit your natural vibrato and superimpose a vibrato from your air (diaphragmatic vibrato), hand (this one is very common), or chin (sometimes referred to as the Nanny-goat vibrato).

DaTrump likes this.
  4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Watch Doc Severinsen in any old clips. There is nothing wrong with hand vibrato (ask any violin player)

5. jjcousin

jjcousin Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a gut feeling...that hand vibrato CAN and HAS been used for pretty WIDE and noticeable vibrato. But, my impression is that this fell out of favor in the 70's ... or later - like after the Lawrence Welk-type era. Not to say you can't do a mild vibrato with your hand, though, of course.

It MAY be CONSIDERED more modern to do it with your mouth (and all the parts that go with it).

Another thought - if you learn the mouth-type vibrato, then you may be more easily able to "throw-in" little end (quick) vibratos (bends and dips) at the end of notes just before going to the next note (Jazz). I don't know if I'm being clear here or not, but these effects could be considered to be generated the same way - with the same equipment - the mouth.

Anyone else agree?

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My professor (Gerald Webster) argued that a hand vibrato would change depending on fingering at the time. I didn't think about it then, because I used a "jaw" vibrato or whatever (I still don't think about it much) and maybe a "tongue"" vibrato for adding excitement to certain tones playing lead. I dunno.

I do know that depth of vibrato and speed of vibrato are two important variables, and that a one dimensional vibrato gets boring to listen to very quickly. I would suggest playing long tones without vibrato at first (some players can't turn their vibrato off, and that gets boring even more quickly than the one dimensional vibrato) then add vibrato, varying speeds and depth until you can unconsciously get "just the right" vibrato at any given moment.

Rolf Quinque had an exercise that is like doing power crunches for the cheeks. Play long tones with a wide and exaggerated vibrato (not hand) and you can feel the burn inside of two minutes.

Exercises like that keep us humble.

Have fun!

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't know if I agree or disagree, but I've slipped with mouth vibrato to somewhat of a grace note before attacking my next note.