Vibrato from nerves?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ricecakes230, Apr 14, 2013.

1. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Hello experts of TM. I am 14, started band in 6th grade. Moved on to 7th and now I am in 8th. I just had my UIL (University Interscholastic League) performance today along with sight reading and we got all 1's which is the best score. I've been in the top band at my school for 2 years after my beginning band year. Although I just started and I am only 14 I take band and my trumpet very seriously. I begin fixing errors the moment I notice them, whether it's bad tone on a whole note or the habbit of playing too tight on high notes. This one particular problem has not been able to go away. I get a little nervous when I play alone in front of the entire band. I do this each day so the director can tune me with a tuner. I play a whole note concert F. For some reason I get a little nervous and shaky and my jaw will do vibrato. Ive tried to stop but it has been difficult. Any suggestion is appreaciated. Thanks :) p.s. I am first chair and I dont want to make myself look like a fool thats afraid of playing a whole note.

2. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    DUDE...I'm an 8th grader, and I take playing trumpet seriously, too.
    Playing trumpet is pretty hard, and pretty much the only way to overcome these nerves is by tons of experience.
    I've played in many concerts, and I've even played a solo once when I was in 7th grade.
    Good luck ;)

3. ricecakes230

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Haha yeah, I've done solos and ensambles too. I love playing trumpet but it isn't fun with obstacles like this. But thanks anyway. I do try to learn something everytime I perform or audition. I was just hoping the people on here that played for decades know some tricks or tips.

4. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    Well, some professional trumpet players do have their own ways to cool themselves down.
    Try asking them if you know any.

5. ricecakes230

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Well I read somewhere they smoke or do pot before something merve racking...not doing that. Haha

6. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Use as much air as possible. Don't be loud, but support your sound. This will help you keep calm and in control... and in tune.

7. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I had a problem with "involuntary" vibrato years ago during trumpet playing life mk 1. Now as a come-backer after a long lay-off the problem is gone and I attribute that to better support of my air supply **and** plenty of long tone practice. If you can sustain long notes at a very low volume then you will have much better control of the whole system. That control in turn will give you more confidence which should help with nerves.

Nick Drozdoff has a youtube video on using long tones as a warm up that was really useful for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jLj1GkSoh0

8. ricecakes230

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Thanks, I'll try that.

9. ricecakes230

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    I'll give the long tones a shot as well since it helped you. Thanks