Vibrato

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I just watched a Vizutti video and interestingly i noticed he creates vibrato using his left hand. Is this a widely used practice? I use my chops to create vibrato. Some people i believe use the diaphragm, but i would imagine that this is very difficult to control.

Your

B.U.M

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    BUM, (it always makes me laugh when I write this ROFL )

Probably this question is for Wise's forum.Yes it is quite common, in particular for comercial and big bandes to use the so called "left hand vibrato". Vizutti being a cross-over musician, it is not surprising that he used it. Europeans sometimes call it "american" vibrato. Vizutti is not the first, nor the last one using it. He is still an amazing musician with unbeliavable chops...very efficient, with or without the l.h. vibrato.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    BUM,
    a real trumpet player needs it all, abs vibrato, jaw and hand. They all sound different and are suitable for different things. You discover that when you spend time with them. What an advantage that we have over singers, fiddlers and piano players!

4. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Oh my God yes...whe can do almost anything with our tone/phrases...not just like slaming one key down on the piano and holding it :) one thing thoug: the piano player does not get a tired embouchure NEVER ;0(

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    All of the players I`ve worked with used the right hand vibrato.

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Ditto

And what is diaphraghm vibrato? Hmmmmm?

-cw-

7. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I've never seen left hand vibrato(or never noticed it). I've seen right hand vibrato. Personally, I use my diaphragm. I learned vibrato from my sister, an oboeist, and therefore play using an oboeist's vibrato technique.

Cheers

8. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Do any of you use tongue roll or tongue level vibrato? I use ah-ee type tongue level. I am usually too up tight to try anything else.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    How true! But about when his instrument gets a wipe down and plonked back in it's case - oww my aching back.ROFL Or if he drops it - THEN you get vibrato.ROFL

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I stand corrected. I wrongly wrote left hand, while I should have written right hand vibrato.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008