Vibrato

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Sep 5, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The diaphragm vibrato has nothing to do with the diaphragm. It is possible to get the air supply to oscillate causing vibrato - that is body tension, abs not the diaphragm.
    The tongue is used by singers too Taah-eeh-aah like stchasking said.
    Moving the jaw up and down is yet another way
    Finally shaking the horn.

Our playing is always the sum of our virtues and deficits. We practice to reduce the deficits and add to the virtues. Once we have developed habits, it is tough to break them, that is why some of us have problems with different concepts. It makes sense to work on vibrato in all its forms. It is an easy, low time investment way to increase expression.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Bingo!

-cw-

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Hey, SB, did you win anything? ROFL

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    For a long time I used my hand. When I started playing a lot of picc. I had trouble and developed the jaw method. Now I just use the jaw. I play a rotary picc. and it's impossible for my to use my hand.

Now that I developed the jaw I almost never use the hand. Sometimes when I'm playing lead in a big band.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    You can still your your left hand, but it is less precised...or get an upright action rotary...the only picc like that I have seen was made by lechner...excellent instrument.

6. bkonstans1

bkonstans1 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 19, 2007
    Aurora, IL
    I almost always use lip/jaw vibrato. I only use the hand vibrato in big band jazz playing. I've tried the air vibrato but I can't really get the hang of it.... oh well. What I do works pretty well for me.

HTH

7. Tammerman175

Tammerman175 New Friend

Oct 19, 2007
    I know maynard thought that hand vibrato's were weak, or something along those lines, and he had an excellent vibrato. I don't really hear a difference between the hand or jaw vibrato's, but that might just be my ears.
    I myself use "diaphragm" vibrato for slow-moving ballads. For anything else I trade off from hand to jaw.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008