Vibrato?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kayin, May 31, 2010.

1. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Used sparringly it can be the spice that brings out the flavor of he music. Soloists usually only get to use it. Its fun to play with though.

2. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    Unless you play in a British Brass Band where vibrato is almost mandatory in order to warm up the ensembles tonal concept and help with blending both in tone concept and intonation. Makes a HUGE difference.

3. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    This is all based on the music. Knowing when to use, and not to use, vibrato is a critical skill to have. We can give you guidelines but in the end, you are going to have to use your good judgment and ears.

Even for ensemble playing, it really depends. Also it will vary according to your conductor and/or director.

A lot of judges at solo & ensemble competitions for HS regionals have told me that my use of vibratos is really well placed and well executed. I never get complimented for my tone or brilliance (because I lack it) but I've been complimented on many occasions of my vibrato... It's almost a violinistic vibrato but not that extreme. Anyway, I couldn't tell you over the internet how to wisely use a vibrato... Actually, in most orchestral music, I'm pretty sure that vibrato is discouraged...

Well, I can tell you one thing. If you are playing a unison line with another trumpet(s) (and sometimes other instruments) you usually don't want to use a vibrato.

Again, it all really depends on the music.

Say you have the principal part for Dvorak's 9th. Say you start the finale and you get to the part where the trumpets kick in at full gear. Daaaaa, da da, daaaa da da, daa da dada daaaa

that first daaaa I don't think it would be wise to use a vibrato as (at least as I see it), the first trumpet note is a fat wall of sound and walls don't shake.

If you have specific vibrato questions on specific literature, we could probably be of more help!

I have this guy at my school... He and I are probably the best at our school... And... His tone is nice, his knowledge of literature is pretty decent... But he has this annoying and obnoxious tendency to vibrato everything everywhere every time... (Also tends to harmonize on the fly for fun... NOT a good way to spend rehearsal)... So he's more of a solo-guy than an ensemble guy... Anyway, the point is that you do not want to vibrato everything every time everywhere.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The consummate Trumpeter needs it ALL! Jaw, hand and the natural body use vibrato.

Opinions about vibrato have changed over the years and over the world. The RIGHT amount is that which sounds most natural to your audience. When I have a concert on the natural trumpet or zink I need something much different than in the orchestra playing Mahlers 8th or Pictures at an Exhibition.

Get it all, then you are armed for whatever comes.

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Rowuk makes a great point -the right amount is what sounds natural to the audience. How many of us were at Church today and sat there thinking "good grief-I wish the solo soprano would give it a rest?" The older they get, the wider and longer the vibrato seems to grow. To me, no vibrato is a much cleaner sound, for the most part. A good rule is to use a little less than you think is needed. That makes it extra gratifying to the listener. No one will fault you for that, whereas, too much is a problem.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The sopranos problem is the loss of sound core when you do not specifically do what is necessary to prevent it. It is merely a miserable daily routine! The same thing can happen with the trumpet if we get lazy too!

7. EL_JMAN

EL_JMAN Pianissimo User

Sep 14, 2010
    So Cal (San Diego)
    I play Mariachi and use the lip/jaw Vibrato. I guess it just depends what kind of music you are playing...

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ---------
    Hi Kaylin,
    It just depends,
    Sometimes no vibrato is best, sometimes vibrato is best.
    Here's how I approach vibrato. I ask myself, "How would a singer execute vibrato on a particular song?"