Vibrato

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Juarez-MA, Mar 11, 2013.

1. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    His high school teacher instilled that in him.

2. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Thanks, had a senior moment.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Always heard that Stan Kenton greatly discouraged his band from using vibrato - wanting a more powerful straight sound.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    After he tried to copy after Harry James was the story I heard.

5. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    I used to sit next to a tuba player who played everything with vibrato. Wavering notes when playing in a band just creates horrible intonation. I cannot understand why anyone would want to use vibrato on a brass instrument.

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Does everyone at least agree that in group or band settings that vibrato is a bad thing?
    I think it is only for solo work, or Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, and such( which I love, by the way)
    I am not actually sure how I create it, but Doc, can you comment on that which you have heard from me?

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    To provide passion... To provide energy... to make the women quiver and the men take notice.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It's easier to sort things out with a one player per part section, but a touch of vibrato in the second part can add a shimmer to the overall section sound without being in the least obvious. In addition, vibrato is not an on/off kind of thing like a light switch, but rather a dimmer. Usually, when a player commands vibrato they also command other things, like intonation, mind melding for a unified section sound and style (of which vibrato is a part).

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    At times I feel that way replete with the shakes and shudders, but alas the shimmy went bye bye. It may happen to all of us when we live more than 3/4ths of a century like I have.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I like the women quivering part, but when the men take notice I usually start looking for a side exit.