Vibrato?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by breakup, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Yes, you follow the iron logic of: a mouse is an animal, an elephant is an animal so a mouse is an elephant. You lost a career in journalism!

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    No . . a mouse and an elephant are the same size. ;-)

GeorgeB likes this.
  3. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Well I came close because in 2001 I retired as the publisher and general manager of one of eastern Canada's largest printing and publishing operations.

rowuk likes this.
  4. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I knew!

5. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    HA! HA ! HA !ROFL you're hard to beat, Franklin.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Ah, the Harry James method.

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    We had one of the former Airmen of Note band members as our director for about a year. He jumped on us for using vibrato (as a section) saying vibrato is what you do when you can’t play in tune. I disagree for the most part, but do believe it is sometimes used for that reason. (And some of our guys were probably using it for such)

On another note, I followed Maynard until his death since around 1969 - some years getting to see him 2 or 3 times a year. Toward the end, he was using an extremely wide vibrato on almost any half note or longer that made me feel like it was being used to cover precise intonation. Please no flames as Maynard was a hero of mine - I was just surprised at the extreme vibrato. Still was able to do things on the horn that many of us could only dream.

Just for the record, I like vibrato at the right time and place so this post isn’t meant to knock it.

Also, read somewhere that Kenton greatly discouraged it in many places because it reduced the volume of the section.

BigDub likes this.
  8. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I agree there is no right or wrong to it. It is a "time and place for everything" sort of idea.
    Me?, I know when it's wrong and am happy when someone does it well, at the right time. Like the cherry on top of the sundae.

GeorgeB and J. Jericho like this.
  9. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I'm pretty sure my jaw doesn’t have any part in accomplishing vibrato for me, nor does movement of the horn.
    How do I do it?
    Hard to explain, kind of deep down in my abdomen and varying the air a bit?
    More unconscious type of thing, but I “will” it, and out it comes ( when appropriate, for me )

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 7:40 PM
  10. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Nice horn! ROFL:thumbsup: