Vibratto to Cover Weak Tone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Dec 20, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Did the traditional trumpet players of times gone past maybe like during Louis Armstrong's time, use vibrato to cover up tone deficiencies, as even modern saxophones or strings need to vibrato?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No.
    Strings, saxes or Louis do/did not cover up tonal deficiencies either. Vibrato is a fundemental tool for expression. Not having it under control just makes ones playing weak.

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    An expression of weakness?

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    No

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Vibrato gives ones tone a unique flavor. Some use it more than others. I would not dare to say its a sign of weakness, and if your tone has deficiencies, they'll still be noticed.

6. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Poorly worded question. I think what you meant was, do you think some players, trumpet or otherwise, use vibrato to cover up weak tones.

Answer: I'm sure some do (did), and we call them amateurs (and I include myself in that category way back when). Pros like Louis, or from any age or instrument, I assume they don't unless maybe by accident after a super long gig or something.

Sounds like you're getting at something else, something negative. Maybe that's just your guilty conscience ;)

7. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    If that was the original question:

During my sophomore year in highschool I had this really fast vibrato, uncontrolled, which turns out was from a weak embouchure and muscle twitching (or whatever you'd call it). I got rid of that with long tones and such, because it did signify a weakness, in that case. Turns out I've had to redevelop a vibrato, because it got to the point where I had none. Now its me doing it, controlled, not by accident, which I consider an asset. Perhaps this is helpful to you?

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A weak player will sound just as weak with or without vibrato. Think of vibrato as a spice used in cooking--depending on the style we'll use a slower or faster vibrato narrower or wider vibrato and any combination thereof, and too much or too little can ruin the taste.

Being able to play with no vibrato is very important as well.

9. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I would recommend doing vibrato only for the notes that are out of tune. :lol:

10. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Maynard Ferguson played a beautifully placed and timed vibrato on the last note of "McArthur Park", from "MF Horn 4 & 5 Live at Jimmy's" where he sustains a DD then breaks into vibrato. No weakness there, and he knew when it was appropriate and when not. Build the fundamentals first, then add the extras.