Vibratto to Cover Weak Tone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Dec 20, 2011.

1. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Vibrato is a style choice on the player's part, depending on the genre of music being played. Most musicians who've done a fair amount of playing (and listening to) various styles of music know when vibrato "fits" and when it doesn't, but it's not done to mask a technical weakness.

2. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I would think that not having a good vibrato would be a weakness.

3. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    It's probably not a dead-on guarantee every time, but I've personally never heard a truly good vibrato coming from a weak musician (trumpet, sax, etc.).

Besides, throwing the likes of Satchmo and any of his period colleagues down the proverbial tone stairs is more than a stretch.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe a weak player would have a hard time keeping a tone with vibrato. The weakness would show through even more.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No, players use reverb on microphones to cover up deficiencies; AND use their first name followed by an abbreviation of their last name,[hypothetical example... let's see... Kenny G] so no one could look up who they really are on the internet... or phone book... 'cause they are freeking embarrassed for what they have done.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Like "Kingtrumpet P" for example?

7. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    On a similar note, I have noticed over the years that it is not uncommon for singers, trumpeters, and saxophonists to sometimes lose control of their vibrato towards the end of their careers. I suspect it's just the aging process, as your body just doesn't always respond the way it used to.

Getting old sucks, but it's much better than the alternative.

8. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    Lol What a silly question.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Here is an explanation for even the simplest of minds. I forget sometimes that we have a broad audience here:

If a player is weak, they have little control, thus no possibility to save anything with tricks. It is like incontinence. Diapers can contain the symptom. In the case of weak players, diapers=no gigs.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As a person that cares for many infants AND the elderly, not all the time Rowuk, not all the time. Sometime, the crap just seeps through.