Vibratto to Cover Weak Tone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Dec 20, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    QED Vulgano Brother; QED!!

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    This has risen to new heights, I must say, with a bit of bravado, I mean vibrato ....:D

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Well, to add something actually relating to the subject: (yes, you read that right) the "Old School" Mexican Mariachi(sp) players really lay on the vibrato. Just saying, it doesn't make their tone any kind of a problem, just a preference and style of music they want to hear. Not my taste, it's a little excessive, but who's asking me???

4. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Chet Baker used vibrato very early in his career, then quit using vibrato pretty suddenly. I think he realized that he was masking a beautiful tone.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    AND with an amateur, unrehearsed or at least unanticipated vibrato that may not be so weak and has a certain air about it I might add.

6. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Not to pick on Louis A., but it is pretty well known that he had health problems due to high pressure playing and had to take a year off, not to mention that dent in his lips, so I think its fair to say he had technique problems. He used vibrato often so maybe just maybe it was a trade off(Either be out of tune or vibratto). Too his credit there wasn't much information about proper technique then, but his music was very tasteful anyway.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Actually he had to work pretty hard not to shake. Especially later on.

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    First, let me say Maynard was my trumpet hero. Top of the top. He did stuff no one else ever did or likely will ever do. I followed him fairly closely from the early 70s when his MF album was released until his death-hearing him live whenever possible. That said -and clearly stating if I could ever play half as good as Maynard did on his worse day it would be the thrill of my life -I felt (personal opinion-no flames please) that toward the end of his life, he really overused vibrato in some of his live performances. Again, while his chops at the end were far better than I could ever deam to play, I sometimes felt his broad continuous vibrato was somewhat a cover for aging. I don't blame him for it -we all do whatever it takes for us to sound our best. Just curious if anyone else seemed to feel the same.

9. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Veery, There have been a few trumpet players that we often refer to that used " self " remedies for escape from whatever they were escaping. Chet was really bummed that heroin prices had gotten to the point that it was beginning to be cost prohibitive ( I read in his biography ). On the other hand we have Miles, he never complained about the cost of heroin. I imagine that both surrounded themselves with like personalities. They lived it and they played it.

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    A real treat for the imagination, Doc, thanks for those thoughts........:roll: