Video Lessons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Jul 30, 2010.

1. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Hey All,

I was just wanting to get your take on video trumpet lessons. I've been talking to a guy (to remain namless at this point) who said he would do lessons via video chat. 1. Has anyone done that? 2. How good could it be? How effective is this type of lesson. I've never done it before and I'm used to physical interface with the teacher.

Just kind of concerned.

Trax

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We are in the 21st century. I am just not convinced that a teacher hears and sees enough with the limited bandwidth.

Not a lesson goes by where I don't visualize something important that I've seen by contact. Neck, posture, horn angle, breathing are just a couple of things. Also th emotional state when the student walks in tells me alot. I have 2 girls in puberty as students and you see/feel everything that they liked or hated in the last day or so.

Most of my teaching involves me playing first and the students playing back. That way we do not need to talk about sound, body use or breathing as much. They see it and mimic it. This does not work on camera. Trumpet sound out of a speaker does not convey the real thing to the mind.

I am convinced that the "relationship" is severely comprimised when the internet is in the way. As practice control (which for many students/teachers is all that is possible) I guess it can work.

3. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    If you go into a store and pick up a webcam for £50, it's going to be really good for chatting to your mates on msn, but when you're trying to watch someone play the trumpet, and you can't make out their fingers because they're moving so fast, and the fps is so low you can't see their face muscles move, how are you going to learn? You could get an HD video camera, and 50mbps internet, but I bet the teacher on the other end won't have it...

4. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I agree with you guys. I just wasn't sure how to express that. I was kind of apprehensive to the thought of video lessons. I was thinking that human interaction would be best.

Trax

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Like many other things in life, if you have a choice, the real thing is best. If not, then you have to pull the calculator out and do some figuring.

Whether a web lesson from a monster is better than a live lesson with an average player, is subject to many factors. My opinion is that the live one will reap more benefits.

Let's face it, many of the successful players here got their first real opportunities through the recommendation of the teacher. We got to go along as second or third trumpet and THAT was an incredible experience. We worked our butts off for the next chance. Try that with a teacher 3000 miles away........